Equipment startup listing anywhere?

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Hello. I call on your knowledge again, as I prepare a working section of the studio for the metal engraving.

Is there a listing anywhere, or any suggestions from you full-time engravers, as to the minimum equipment that you need to outfit the studio (for an efficient, professional, and up-to-date studio)? And then the peripherals that are nice, but not "necessary"?

As I organize, shop, and setup my space here I don't want to miss anything that I definitely need, or add-ons that make life easier.

Any suggestions for my setup, or listing, is greatly appreciated, as always. Thank you in advance.
scottd.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a difficult question to answer. Given the wonderful work being done around the world the answer could range from:

Vise, hammer, chisel, pencil, light, optivisor, sharpening stone

to

Vise, pneumatic equipment, multiple hand pieces, compressor, transfer films, potions, etc., fancy lighting, microscope with mount, sharpening system with many stones, etc. etc. etc.

Each person works differently and the amount or type of equipment is a factor of preference and how much time and money the person wants to spend. I've seen some fabulous work by the Italians who at the end of the day put their loupe, bulino tool and ruby stone in their shirt pocket and have everything with them. Others of us have very decked out studios with all sorts of equipment.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
There is always one more thing to love about Italy! There is a gargoyle engraver there who does just that, albeit, a larger chisel and hammer. He's amazing!

You are right. There likely isn't a good answer to this. But thank you!
scottd.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You may want to call GRS to get their latest catalog. They put together tool setup suggestions in it based on various budget price points.

For the money though, the Lindsay artisan air graver is pretty darn hard to beat.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,
I started with the middle option in the GRS catalog. I wish they would post the recommendations on the Internet.

I still think you should come by and see the setup I have. You could then move up or down based on budget.

Best way to purchase from GRS is at a class. They give you a discount, no tax, and free shipping.

Gerry

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I'm going to get their catalog. I appreciate that suggestion from you both (you and GTJC). I had been leaning toward Lindsey PC, but I've been watching some of the videos on youtube and the GRS stuff looks really nice - and cuts well.

I'd love to see your setup one day. I'm in the middle of three projects and trying to keep my head up before holidays bury me, but in the weeks coming I'll see what your schedule looks like and we'll try to set a time that works for you.

Thanks again to all for your input. I'm wondering - simply because my main goal is guns, western theme SAA's to be more precise - what graver system does Sam use for most of his scroll work? Does anyone know? Just curious.

Thanks Beathard. Look forward to the visit.
scottd.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
How did I miss the catalog? DUH! Thanks again, everybody.

For reference, if you're reading this thread to get a feel for equipment: Get the GRS Catalog at their website. www.grstools.com. It's a PDF download and it''s loaded with info.
scottd.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if possible, try to find someone in your area that has the "power toys". and be mindful-- you don't need a roomful of stuff to create quality work. my suggestion- first get a powerhone to do good, repeatable graver geometry. they may seem pricey, but are worth it from the very start. another "toy"-- i'm quite fond of .3mm and .5mm mechanical pencils. the leads are cheap, and no sharpening needed. our buy and sell section here may get you some good stuff at reasonable rates.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Beathard, go to a shop that sells drafting supplies, like a blueprint shop, they will have them.

Sponsors