Help, please: engraving patterns

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want to be an engraver there's more to it than just taking a pattern, transferring it and cutting. You also need to be able to draw out designs. So perhaps this might be a good time to practice with a pencil and paper? But if you just want to get cutting using someone else's designs you could try the GRS website as they have this kind of stuff ready and waiting to get you cutting.

vinyard knife

as a beginner looking at and trying different work will help me along . GRS has alot to offer and i use there tools as well i do spend a great deal of time putting together my own ideas but also look for insperation in the work of other to guide me along .

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two things come to mind, Yes you can make transfers for practicing engraving and you should get comfortable with your pencil to make them.All transfers that are digitally produced start with the brain and either are put on paper or screen and then printed off. I spent years learning to draw what I wanted to engrave and I studied design from many sources. I just recently learned how to make the computer work for me too. You can do all of these and practice you cutting at the same time. Glad to hear you want to engrave and best of luck with all that you have in front of you!!!!!!!

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Dover books has about 250 books of "copyright free" art work for around $20.
They come with the images on a CD so you can flip, scale, stretch, print, etc on your computer.
I have 3 : Art nouveau letters, ornate letters, and baroque ornaments.
I know they have books of animals and such too. Any one ought to give you more than enough material to practice with.

mrthe

I don't see nothing wrong in practice with pre made design or patterns,is good practice with nice designs to understand how are done some works,one of the last posts of Bram about banknote engraving practice is an example,very well excecuted and cut,copy works of great engravers is good to learn and understand engraving,after that the best is learn how to draw what you want engrave,but my personal opinion is that is a good way,for example the posts of the practice plates of drawings from Sam ,Lee or Mitch are great exercises ,you can start from this designs that you can find in this forum,personally i think that help a lot,expecially for the beginners .

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Dover sample

Here is a money clip I did the other day and the image from the Dover book.

Attachments

• E03.jpg
    E03.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 361
  • E money clip.jpg
    E money clip.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 364

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
You know, I've heard all this high-brow artistic bluster about drawing for a long time. It's true, drawing is an integral part of engraving, but the real fact is that not everyone is capable of highly developed drawing skills. I stated out as a high school art teacher, I have a Masters Degree in Fine Art, and I understand how people learn to draw. I also understand that for many many people drawing skills are extremely difficult, after all, not everyone is artistically blessed.

I see no value in saying that unless you can draw you cannot have pride in your work. There are alternative ways to learn scroll structure and geometry that include transferring good patterns and cutting them...that's pure satisfaction, and that's what keep folks happy while they learn. I say cutting a pattern that has been pre-developed by a qualified artist/engraver is better than sitting at a drawing table in complete frustration while trying to draw a perfect set of scrolls.

I've taught over 650 students in various levels of the engraving arts, and I've seen the frustration of many who could not draw a proper scroll. I've also seen the pride and sense of accomplishment from cutting a good pattern that was transferred to the metal. This process started with Don Glaser and his revolutionary discovery of using copy machines and acetone to lay down good scrolls. Suddenly anyone could produce a artistically viable scroll pattern to engrave. Now we have advanced methods of transfer and more people can engrave than ever before. The old Xerox and brake cleaner transfer method has given way to exotic acetate transfer sheets and computer generated scrolls. Pencil and paper artists are a rarity in the age of computer generated art.

Drawing is an essential part of engraving and its value cannot be diminished. There are good ways to learn to draw and good teachers to help...take a class in drawing, it will be valuable time spent. Meanwhile, there is equal value in the time you spend with the graver cutting proper scrolls and patterns transferred to the metal. You'll learn as much about scroll structure that way as with the pencil.

www.engravingtransfers.com

Last edited:

mrthe

I don't know how it work in USA but for example in Spain to have the title of "Master" in jewellery or engravinflg art,for example you have to pass a test from a local guild , generally how certify if you are or not a master are jewellery shops owners, the 95% of this people haven't see a jeweler bench or workshop in his life and only are rich people that have start a business without any type of knowledge, i know " masters" without an official title that had worked all his life and made extremly fine works , much more better than people that have an official "title".
Unluckly heare in Spain the laws about that are very Bad for people that want the title of Master.
I'm curious to know how it work for you.
Is a great problem for Spanish artists, expecially for people ( a lot of peopple that make this type of job) that had learn the arts in the workshops of his fathers, grandparents.... and have not studying in a regular school of art.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Drawing

Mike makes a lot good since about learning to drawing,I would never have thought of taking up engraving if I did'nt have a background in art.Take a drawing class it will pay off,I would also highly recommend Ron Smith book Advanced Drawing of Scrolls and any book on the anatomy of animals & birds,good anatomy is very important if your going to engrave sporting arms.:pencil: J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike: I've often used music as an example. There are far more musicians who use sheet music or play other people's songs as opposed to those who write their own music. I'm a good example of this myself. In my 40+ years as a musician everything I play was written by someone else.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike makes a lot good since about learning to drawing,I would never have thought of taking up engraving if I did'nt have a background in art.Take a drawing class it will pay off,I would also highly recommend Ron Smith book Advanced Drawing of Scrolls and any book on the anatomy of animals & birds,good anatomy is very important if your going to engrave sporting arms.:pencil: J.J.

Don't forget Lee's book and DVD.I have use both and got along with Lee's explanation of scroll design very nicely,THANKS Lee!!!!!!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, your points are very correct as well. The difference in all of this amounts to what you want to do.
I would have to say that a good majority of the people on this forum are looking into engraving as "fun". Some people buy a fishing boat, some go skiing and some buy engraving equipment. Some may play guitar. I suppose everyone hopes to become Eric Clapton but in reality they are doing it to have a fun hobby and never make it past a couple of songs. The same goes for engraving. They may only want to engrave a 22 rifle for "little Billy".
There is NO substitute for drawing.... I won't argue that it can be learned. It just amounts to where you want to go. You are not going to win awards with a transferred design but on the other hand you can put a squirrel on that little 22 to pass on down.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
+1 on that Chris; very well put.

Mike whilst I can see where you're coming from I can't agree with all of it. When does encouraging someone to pick up a pencil and learn to draw scrolls suddenly become "high brow artistic bluster"? Sorry, I find that quite insulting. I DON'T have an artistic degree, NOR do I believe you have to have "highly developed drawing skills" to become an engraver. Sure it helps but it's only one small part of it as you know.

What I do believe is that to do anything well in this life, you have to pay your dues. Lord knows, we live in an instant gratification society nowadays; "If it doesn't happen instantly it's not worth waiting for," seems to be the credo of most of western society, especially amongst the young. Just getting a transfer of scrollwork and cutting it shortcuts the engraving process and does nothing apart from help your actual cutting skills. If you don't understand how scrollwork forms and develops, you'll never improve your design skills or know how to lay out a design on an awkwardly shaped object. The only way around this is to sacrifice a bit of time to learn the other skills required by an engraver e.g. some drawing, but you don't have to be a Leonardo or Michelangelo so don't worry if you only have mediocre drawing skills.

Using transfers without understanding or knowledge is like buying a 'Paint By Numbers' kit. Yes, you end up with a result but you don't have to have any knowledge of how you got there or how to paint a real painting. Now, if you used transfers in conjunction with a learning program (such as Ron Smith's book for example) that's a different matter. But just transferring scrolls onto a piece of metal and cutting over them will never add to your knowing the difference between good and poor design or what makes it so. And if you can't draw a scroll you sure as hell won't be able to cut one without a template/transfer of some kind - so what then happens when you have a piece of metal or jewellery where your predesigned scrolls don't fit?

No, in my book there is no excuse. If you want to cut unique scrollwork you've got to put the effort into learning it and that is not just cutting metal. You DON'T have to be a great artist but you do need to want to advance your skill set.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors