Engraving leather carving patterns

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, I was going to tell Dave that I saw his old girlfriend the other day.

Salvi

Hi Dave, your hand engraving 'sheridan style' looks really wonderful. As I also make leather tooling I don't get to understand how did you lift up these flower petals.
Thank you

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
No Arnaud...

If you google Western leather carving you will see that this "style" is what is being used on the sterling plates that Dave is making.

These are to be used as "corner plates" on a Western style saddle. Another thing you might google?

Steel dies are made for the purpose of embossing leather by means of pressure. This is used imitate hand carving and reduce the cost of the product.

Brian

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is not "Sheridan " style. Sheridan style is very round and has lots of stickers and leaves with the flowers that are usually round and in the middle of the scroll design. This is known as California floral pattern, The Visalia Stock Saddle Co. is well known for this. Stanley Diaz is credited with developing the pattern for them, just one of the many noted makers that worked for Visalia.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Please post photos of the set, and finished on the saddle if you get them, I would love to see how they turn out. That style and look of engraving is intriguing to me, I was told some time back by a saddle maker/engraver that the californian floral leather carving style does not transfer over to engraving very well, but from what I see it works quite well. :tiphat:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will be a while as I am to finish all of the silver first before the saddle will proceed. If I get photos of the finished piece, I will post them .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors