Question: engraving a Savage Axis

JenBrockman

I am still too new to this to know what to/not to engrave and to know the effects of different finishes. I have a customer that wants me to engrave some lettering on a gun as a memorial to his son. Just lettering....which maybe I'm not ready for yet either :confused: I'll never REALLY be ready to engrave a gun, scares the crap outta me! lol
Anyway....he wants it engraved on the reciever of a Savage Axis. There is a small flat area that would be the perfect spot for the engraving. Problem is the gun seems to have a "sprayed on" kind of finish. I'm not sure what to do here.
Suggestions????

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
That little 22 I did for my niece had a sprayed on rubbery/plastic type finish, I took a test cut in a hidden spot to be sure the metal under it was soft and then just cut through it and filled it with paint. Not sure if your rifle has the same finish or not. The only problem with engraving on black is seeing the lines in the design you've drawn. If I had some of Tom Whites white solution that probably would have been a perfect fix. Here is a link to that rifle: http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?12471-The-latest-High-pressure-job

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jen, Follow Brian's advice. Try using white "water color" colored pencil to do your layout. I bought Sanford Verithin 734 from NgraveR Ray that draws on almost all surfaces including glass. Touch it to your tongue and draw. Kind of have to press a little bit but works well. P.S. I also have a product called "Super Met-Al Grip" industrial grade pump action paint marker White and "Meanstreak" sharpie white (kind of a crayon that drys) and plain old white-out which allow you to draw your layout on the black surface.

As to when you are ready to engrave a gun? Go to local gunsmiths and see if the have any junk gun parts to practice on. Most do and you will make valuable contacts. Most will ask to see what you are able to accomplish with them and when you share your best work with them you just may find yourself in the gun engraving business. DON'T UNDER PRICE YOURSELF even on your first commission. Time is money. Fred

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jen,

The Savage Axis line has many different models including those made of stainless steel. They are very modern guns which usually means very hard steel. Even on many vintage bolt action rifles the steel of the receiver is very hard. Unless someone on this site has engraved the same version of the Axis you are being asked to engrave, and says it cuts well, I would be very reluctant to try it. These days many modern rifles and shotguns that look blued (blackened) are actually black chromed which is like trying to engrave glass.

Actually the best way to engrave lettering through the finish on a modern rifle is to use a diamond drag pantogrph.

Another thing to remember is that if you are engraving through a finish, one fly out and you are in deep trouble. There is no way to repair your slip without stripping the finish, repolishing, complete the engraving, then have the gun reblued (at your expense).

This is only my opinion (based on my own experience) but I don't think it is wise to engrave your first gun for a customer. This has been discussed here before but I will reiterate that the best way to build confidence and experience on gun engraving is to buy an inexpensive replica cap & ball revolver, do the surface prep and engrave it. You will learn much working on the various flat, rounded, and convex surfaces of such a gun.

Whatever you do, good luck to you,

Roger

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jen

I have to concur with Roger. This is not a good project to cut your teeth on. My advise would be to leave it alone.

When you say customer.........do you mean friend or family member?? Because they will keep you busy with several lifetimes full of work for them. If it is a real customer then don't touch it because if it goes pear shaped you will get the blame no matter what and so will your fledgling reputation. They forget conversations where you say "I'm only learning this"

My best advise to you is to start on projects like the GRS stainless key fobs and similar type projects. Build up your confidence levels and skills............do not be in a rush to try and do "proper jobs"

These small projects will teach you a lot about holding the work, design, cutting, technique and all sorts of things. You can practice lettering, scrollwork and anything else to your hearts desire. Give them to family members or friends and let them admire your work.

This is your thing........be selfish about it and right from the start learn to say "NO" :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what they all said + andrew mentioned to learn to say no. this was a problem for me for a long time. it caused me to ultimately take way too much time doing certain jobs compared to the price quote. the result was too little money for too much time.

JenBrockman

Thanks everyone! I am leaning more towards saying no. I just don't feel ready yet, I've only been engraving for 2 months, not near enuf time. The customer says he is in no hurry though and would wait a few months.....and I think that is the best route to go....wait a few more months (or more) and let me get some additional practice under my belt. Its difficult to say "no" when we have so many customers and phone calls coming in from other local gun shops asking me to do engraving jobs.
As far as getting guns to practice on....my husband is a gunsmith so we have LOTS of parts guns and practice pieces, and I have been working with some of them.
As always...thanks for the advice. I definitely don't want to start out with one of my first jobs going bad and leaving me with a not so great reputation. I've seen pics of engraving where the engraver jumped the gun (ha ha) and did a piece before they were really "ready". I don't want to make that same mistake if I can help it.