Engraving A Revival Article

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for this one. Faberge has been an obsession of mine since I was 12 years old. It's one of the main reasons I became a jeweler. I remember the day my class went for a visit to the New Orleans museum of art. In one of the first rooms was the entire collection of Faberge object donated by Imelda Geddings Grey. Among the pieces was the Napoleonic Egg. I stared for half an hour while my classmates wandered on. I remember asking the question, "How could anyone make this?" It took many years for me to learn that the answer was simply skill with ones hands and a LOT of hard work. (not to mention funds).
As a budding engraver I asked the same questions of a lot of the guns that I saw. I found the same answer years later. There's rarely any magic. It boils down to a lot of dedication to develop a singular skill. The fun part is that I still ask the question "How on earth?" when looking at some engraved objects.
The work of Faberge is worth some serious study time to jewelers and engravers alike.
Layne Z

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The craftsman has the future of an artisan industry resting on his broad shoulders. He says there are only five master engravers left in Britain - all ageing and nearing retirement - and just three in Australia.
This statement jumped out at me. Surely it isn't true. Marcus or Jo must know.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It sounds good if your trying to make yourself sound important. If no one calls you on it, it must be true... Right? Nope!

Latest posts

Sponsors