Help, please: engraver identity

Tucson Tom

I recently purchased a Ruger No. 1 with engraving.the scene is depicting an Arizona small game hunt with the artist`s initials which look like "H" combined with "P" at the 4:00 o`clock position.Any help identifying the artist would be appreciated.Thanks from a new member. 823A1918-1024x663.jpg

Tucson Tom

pic of signiture

Looks like the letter H with loop on the right verticle portion that may be a combination of HP.My apology for the lack of clarity in the pic. Thanks, Roger

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 352

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the top picture the gun is facing right and I can barely see what looks like initials to the right of the lead pig. The picture you just posted is the other side of the gun and I can't make anything out.

Tucson Tom

signature

ATTACH=CONFIG]35676[/ATTACH]here is a hand written reproduction of what appears on the rifle.Camera could not adequately pic it up.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 273

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

I have combed our archive and the closest thing I can find is the mark of a J. Pope. I know nothing about him other than he was at one time a FEGA member and that he registered his mark years ago when Bob Evans was FEGA Historian. The mark looks exactly like your drawing except that there is a slight arch going to the left at the bottom of the left upright, forming a J.

What I can tell you is that the engraving on your rifle is not the work of any recognized master. It is quite naive, having several design flaws in the scrollwork. Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

RB