Engraved William Henry Knife - 'Garuda'

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

Here's another knife that I recently engraved for William Henry Studios.

Throughout the folklore of eastern Asia, the king of the birds, Garuda, is invoked as a symbol of impetuous, violent force, of speed, and of martial prowess. He is also respected as a protection against all serpents & their poisonous bite. These images come to us through the ages & have been captured in steel and 24 carat gold, flanked by the snake-beings or ‘Naga’ who are his sworn enemies.

The legend of the Garuda

It is told that Garuda set out on a quest to free his mother from bondage to snake-men or ‘Naga’, who demanded immortality in exchange for her freedom. Knowing that the Gods possessed an elixir of life, Garuda set out to obtain this potion. He met with many challenges, overcoming all the heavenly beings arrayed against him to defend their elixir of immortality. No one was able better him, not even the great Lord Vishnu, so a truce was called and an cunning agreement reached. Garuda presented the elixir to the Naga but as soon as his mother was freed, he distracted them, allowing the Gods to regain their potion of immortality. However, as he left the scene, the Naga found some drops of the elixir spilled on the grass, & although they split their tongues licking this, they also gained immortality, forever-after shedding their skins. From that day onward, Garuda was granted eternal life, becoming the staunch ally of the gods and the trusty winged mount of Vishnu. He remains the implacable enemy of all snakes, upon whom he preys at every opportunity.

The completed work, prior to assembly.

Thanks for looking,

Jo

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Love all your latest WH knives you posted here but this one is EXTREMELY beautiful!!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A show stopper, Jo! Congratulations on the excellent design and execution.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo,

I absolutely love this knife. But at the same time, I'm really miffed that you did it. Only last month I was looking at a Garuda carving I brought back from Bali almost 40 years ago. As I studied the carving I thought what a great design it would make for a William-Henry knife. I even sketched a few preliminary designs and then stopped due to other engraving commitments. Now here we have a flawless example of this Indonesian design (far better than any I had envisioned) and so I need to think of another subject. Thanks a bunch!

Seriously, this is superb in design and execution.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
lol... ooops, sorry about that Mark! :) But thank you for the compliment.

Yep, design ideas are hard to come. Personally sitting outside other engraver's houses, with a set of binoculars works for me! ;)

Right, off to Wales now... what's that guys name...? Coggan? ;)

PS... just a tip, don't put anymore work into a 'Makara' design! ;) :) :) :)

Jo

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
supercallafragilisticexpeallidocious comes to mind. you and andrew should collaborate on a project one of these days.

Latest posts

Sponsors