Engraved Kentucky Patch Box

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Here is the latest Kentucky Patch Box that I engraved. I hand made and engraved this box and installed it on the rifle. I hope you enjoy it.;)

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
May I ask why on this type of rifles there is a inlay on the cheek piece. Seems uncomfortable at best
Thanks

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dave

The inlay is referred to as a Hunter's star and as the star of Israel in the history of the American Long Rifle. Installed commonly in this location on many of the early rifles and on many of the German Jaeger rifles which many people believe were the foundation of the design of the American Long Rifle.

The inlay as installed on this rifle is with a small screw many were pinned or nailed in place. Per the clients request I based the design of this rifle on the designs of 4 early original Lancaster School of American Long Rifles by Jacob Dickert and Issac Haines. The Hunters star was used by Jacob Dickert on one of these rifles and I did my best to duplicate it. Although the screw holding the inlay in place aprears to be high above the inlay and my hurt when the rifle is fired I can assure you it is not and does not interfer or hurt the shooter. I have seen on more than one early target styled rifle where a round headed tack was installed in the check piece. This was done so the shooter would have a reference location to anchor his cheek in the same place on the cheek rest for each shot. I do not think this was the purpose of this inlay on the American Long Rifle, during the time that these rifles were in use many were hunters and were religious and therefore I feel that this inlay was a symbol used to help guide a person on his journey through life.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bama,Did we meet at the Annual Virginia & Kentucky Rifle Show in Front Royal Va.Last year? J.J.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Yes JJ we did meet at that show and it was a pleasure I might add to meet you. You had some Jaeger parts there and I came within an inch of buying them but I needed a Walnut stock and if I remember correctly your stock was maple. I hope that you have been well.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry JJ I will not be able to make it to that show this time. I am going to go to the Tulsa show in November so I decided not to go to the Virginia show. I hope that you have a good show.

monk

Staff member
i was blessed to have met a doctor that had an extensive collection of originals. i spent an entire afternoon looking at these wonderful works from the past. many included the star, as well as other symbolic adornments on them. the story of each gun and it's history was explained to me. i wish i had had more than just a junky old polaroid then.
your gun, even tho new, brings back the sentiment in me for the old guns, as did meeting with the collector. your gun is quite beautiful to my eye. thanks so much for sharing this.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
For those people that can't examine a fine collection, the book entitled "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in Its Golden Age" by Joe Kindig is a valuable resource. I studied that book for over two years before I built my 1770 Isaac Haines long rifle.

Latest posts

Sponsors