Engraved gun case hardware & accessories

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here are a few pieces I engraved around 1988. All done with hammer & chisel and push gravers. They are rather old and have some wear and tarnish and are from a private collection. / ~Sam

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Simply Beautiful Sam-Do you have it to rebuild or did you acquire it at sale-certainly worth a rebuild and it has worn very well, I don't see much touch-up to do Thanks for sharing with us--Fred

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, that is impressive. If that much work went into the case, that must have been some kind of gun. I remember you told me once that stippling background took an eternity with H&C, you must have had that in mind when you laid that design out, not much background there. It looks great. Thanks for posting that up. Best regards. Brian

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Very cool, I just recieved a new knife project today that has some pin holes to design around, looking at this work has inspired me. thanx Sam...

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work!!!! The part that means the most to me is the H&C part, because it reminds me of all the neat stuff I have but don't absolutely need. Thanks very much for posting. Seth

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, folks :)

Chris: I honestly don't remember how long it took, but I'm guessing a couple of days.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Wow! Sam you use to do nice work. What happened? Hey great stuff. I love all the details, hinges etc.. engraved like that. Any pics of the whole thing put together? Do you miss doing guns? You buy one and make an exibition piece. I'm sure it would be aq good investment to sell down the road. Chris

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Sam that is very impressive engraving...
I agree with Chris D that would be a great investment...
Jerry

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Sam, especially the boxes.
Thanks for showing them, great study material for me.
Most of the time I seems to have a lot of background in my designs, looking at the box I know it can be done with less background to remove.

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So what I'm seeing is that in 20 years your work - thanks to the switch to powered gravers - has gotten...

well, faster, at least.

Saved off copies of the whole set for study.

Sam

Staff member
Chris: Thanks :) Yeah, I miss gun engraving whenever I see the stuff you guys are cranking out. Maybe one day...

Kevin: I was 35 years old when I engraved these pieces. :)

Arnaud: The background areas on the brass hardware pieces are small enough to remove with a push graver. For most of it I just made plunge cuts with a square graver and popped out the background areas. Not as easy in steel, though. While there's less background to remove, the tradeoff is a much finer design with smaller details, etc. This is extremely time consuming and is not nearly as bold as larger scrolls like what McKenzie would have done for similar parts.

In the next weeks I will post photos of the Bowie knife that's part of this set. It has similar sized scrolls and while it looks pretty good, I often thought I should have used a heavier scroll with larger background areas.

Cheers / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors