Engraved colt single action

bentspur

I have an engraved Colt SAA made 1925, a 1 gun shipment to S.F. It is heavily overlaid in silver, top, bottom, sides, back, and front. The silver is engraved. Gun and grips are in excellent condition. I was told it was done by Adolph Bayers in Texas about 1940. The engraved silver and gold grips are hallmarked Newmans Silver Shop Reno (circa1935-1955). Does anyone have any other information that may be of interest? http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/woodsawnevada/media/MEMO00012.jpg.html

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A single thumbnail sized picture doesn't cut it. Detailed close-ups of specific areas of the gun are required for any shot at identification or verification.

bentspur

The silver is so heavy, it could not be applied to the outside of the cylinder or the cylinder would not turn inside the frame.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The overlay work rang the rusty old cow bell in my head and I went searching through my old reference books. In Prudhomme's original work on gun engraving is reference to Paul Showalter from Arizona who was noted for his applied filigree in silver on firearms. A quick search of "Paul Showalter +engraver" revealed only a couple of references. One is a 1958 Guns Magazine. Fred

bentspur

In searching the internet, I can not find a picture of another gun with this type of engraved silver overlay. In my 50 years of collecting Colts I have never seen another one at a show or auction.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Don't think so, BR?

Silver overlay could, if it were elegantly done on an exceptional Colt surface, so that it had a smooth flow across the firearm. What I saw here - I don't think so - unless it is indeed a rust bucket paint job. :) It didn't look good to me, but others may appreciate it. Each to his own when it comes to collectors!
br.

bentspur

True, each to his own. Bayers spurs done in the same style sell for $2-4K at auction. I think Picasso paintings look ridiculous.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
J. Martin Basinger and Billy Klapper probably know more about Adolph Bayers' work than any other living humans. J. Martin's company's website is www.basingerco.com. J. Martin's son runs the company. You might email him the pic and get him to show it to J. Martin.

Stewart

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a very interesting piece, very unusual and attractive work from the mid century heyday of the American cowboy, thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

bentspur

I already contacted Basinger. All he could say is that he knew Bayers did some guns. He really did not have much to say. I have an old article by Gaines DeGraffenreid who owned 2 Bayers guns. The article showed the guns, they look like mine. He said he only knew of a few. Texas Ranger Clint Peoples had 2 1911s done by Bayers. They were sold at auction a few years ago, they can still be found on a search. They also look the same as mine. Bayers did not sign his work until after 1952. None of the other guns mentioned were signed. In 50 years of collecting Colts, I have never seen in person or in articles another gun with this heavy overlay engraving other than those mentioned. Bohlin made some that look similar, but they were not overlay, the silver was inset flush in the metal.

bentspur

It is definitely different. Kind of Folk Art. Kind of crude and heavy (or bold and masculine), but all of Bayers work was like that. Maybe the Texas cowboys of the Bayers era (1930-1970) didn't want the delicate appearance. A lot of the fine scroll I see today looks kind of girly to me. This gun has "flash", an across the room catch your eye look. The grips are engraved sterling with gold, done by Newmans Silver Shop in Reno. Newmans did silver work for movie stars and dignitaries all over the world in the 1930s-50s.

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
True, each to his own. Bayers spurs done in the same style sell for $2-4K at auction. I think Picasso paintings look ridiculous.

I'm with you on Picasso. My thoughts exactly. I'm a fan of Paul Klee who always laid in the shadows of his incredibly more popular painting pal, whom we all know.

That Colt is a booster to any collection, and style aside, appears to be a very rare find. Enjoy it, as the real pleasure of collecting is the chase of the story.
br.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Well it's sure a beautiful piece! Adolph Bayers paved the road for many like myself who build bits and spurs. I am fascinated by his work and indebted to him for his influence. I have a few of his old gravers. I like to get them out every once in a while and just hold them....trying to pick some vibes up from the old master. I envy you owning this gun. What a wonderful piece of cowboy art!

Stewart

Latest posts

Sponsors