Question: engrave Damascus knife (Engrave on Damascus)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a hand made knife that I found the blade is Damascus but the handle is also (i wish it was not) my question here is, can the Damascus handle be engraved? (combination of hard and soft steel) I understand that because of the pattern it might detract from the engraving.

Has anyone tried it?

thanks all

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Carlos!
I have just engraved a damascus knife with deep relief and gold inlay, this was my post http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?15116-damascus-knife ,
this is not for sure the best exemple of fine engraving but is to show you thath it is doable.
In the photo you dont see too much the pattern of damascus but is there... In my experience you have first to sand the knife with the grit paper you like, removing the damascus pattern, the you engrave your bolsters. Before the shading part you put your knife in a solution of iron chloride (be aware that it stain, use gloves, and dont pour the solution in your washbowl or it will corrode the metallic parts! Ah it is not dangerous for you but only for metals:thumbsup:) for more or less 30 sec. , wash it under running water, it will make appear again the damascus pattern, pass a soft touch with worn 1200 git paper to remove the black patin and you are ready to shade.
The combination of soft and relative,y hard metal is not a big issue but in my experience you will not have the clean cut as with a 416 steel..for your concern with the damascus pattern detracting from your engraving, the answer is that with a shorter bath in iron chloride will give you a less evident damascus pattern, ahh you can find iron chloride in electronic shops they sell it for people that print their own printed circuit, and it is quite cheap, in italy 4 euro...
I hope that all this is understandable! My english is not the best!:beatup:
Stefano

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thank you

I asked a question on your post...just wanted to know what grit type did you use to sand your Damascus.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Sponsors