Help, please: Engravability of a Ruger Blackhawk cylinder?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
brand new, in .45 Long Colt?

Thanks!

(nobody has asked me this sort of thing in years and i get two inquiries in a week, including the Kimber i posted about earlier...)

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If Ruger Vaquero cylinders are any indication, they should engrave moderately easily. They (and the barrels) are harder than the frame, etc. of the gun, but not undoable by any means. Inlay work can be tricky, as the cannel you cut will sometimes work harden, but regular scroll work should be very little hassle.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I went to NRA School and JB was teaching the class,he told us not to waste our time with these lesser valued guns. What ever happened to keeping the value of our work up with the better quality firearms?I guess the times ain't what they used to be?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have done several Blackhawks that were carbon steel. I used glensteel Gravers and they cut well.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I went to NRA School and JB was teaching the class,he told us not to waste our time with these lesser valued guns. What ever happened to keeping the value of our work up with the better quality firearms?I guess the times ain't what they used to be?

it's a local guy who just wants personalized inscriptions on the cylinders of a couple pistols for gifts. (don't really want or need the work, but he seems like a nice guy. i'm sure i'll end up regretting it. you guys were all supposed to tell me "%*$#% NO, those Blackhawk cylinders can only be engraved with classified weaponized laser technology!")

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, JB also mentioned the problem with engraving on ANY revolver cylinder was a really bad idea especially if it was one of these guns because the likelihood of the owner to risk actually shooting it and having it fail. The only way to be safe is to have two cylinders for the gun in which case it can be switched out if it to be shot.Mind you that I went to his class over 20 yrs. ago and circumstances may have changed since then but I would not take the chance still today.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Beathard,JB stands for John Barraclough an engraver who has shared his knowledge with many of us over many years,wish he would start posting again.J.J.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just out of curiousity, are there any documented cases of guns blowing up because they were engraved, or is this one of those cock robin myths?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard, yes JB shared a lot of his knowledge, and I took my advantage of it by that time. It is unfortunate that he no longer participates

arnaud

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not an attorney, and do not dispense legal advise, but for what it is worth, I engrave revolver cylinders all of the time, and I shoot some of them in cowboy action shooting, where they may have hundreds or even thousands of rounds put through them each year. They have never failed. I do advise customers not to load heavily in these guns, but if you are not Elmer Keith, why would you? (by the way, Elmer Keith had several engraved guns, and knowing his penchant for hyper-loading handguns, if it would blow up, here's where it would have happened!) I don't think the average customer will ever experience a problem. Just don't carve in deeply!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In all the years I have researched gun engraving I know of no case where a gun "blew up" attributed to engraved surfaces. I know of many cases where a gun's value was ruined because some amature hacker engraved a gun without knowing what they were doing.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Easy there Roger! I think most of us believe we hacked our first projects (guns) and I know several "Masters" who would give a good deal to get their first works back. HA HA-Fred

Sponsors