English scroll practice......

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
My first stab at a hand drawn starter scroll :)
Plenty of room for improvement i know.
5mm size.

If you want to add your practice pics ect on this thread, go ahead.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I cut all this with a 96, however I just made a new 116 which makes a better teardrop, so..let's see what happens next time.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
The good thing about taking a close up pic of a first attempt & then re-watching Marcus` dvd, is that you can really see the difference a few details make.
I can easily see lots of things that I can now rectify next time.
The other plus is I only cut one scroll rather than a whole design :rolleyes:

Once I get my paid work out of the way, I`ll be back on the case.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's looking good. I was using the Lindsay geometries up till about three weeks when I switched back to regular heels. Now using mostly a 110 with traditional heel. I like it much better, and feel its easier to get nice tapers on my shade lines. I find the uniform parallel heel more difficult to get the very fine taper on shading.

At least it seems to me that the parallel heel wants to bite and dig in quicker on the fine cuts. It is a very nice geometry for very tight radius cuts, but it doesnt like to "skid" much when you are doing the fine shading cuts. Has anyone noticed this?

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That's looking good. I was using the Lindsay geometries up till about three weeks when I switched back to regular heels. Now using mostly a 110 with traditional heel. I like it much better, and feel its easier to get nice tapers on my shade lines. I find the uniform parallel heel more difficult to get the very fine taper on shading.

At least it seems to me that the parallel heel wants to bite and dig in quicker on the fine cuts. It is a very nice geometry for very tight radius cuts, but it doesnt like to "skid" much when you are doing the fine shading cuts. Has anyone noticed this?

I`ve no idea, I usually blame myself for bad cuts :)
Having said that my practice time has been non-existent & i`m going to have to make time otherwise I`ll be getting nowhere.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Updated...

So, had another go today...
A few things stick out badly, but it`s not so bad without magnification :rolleyes:
No outside stuff, not forgotten, just not at that stage yet.

Taking a decent pic seems just as much challenge.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert, your not the only one to notice this. I've been cutting some spoons for a client and silver it's a little tough to get that hairline to start a shading stroke. I was using a rather short heel. I may fiddle with a bigger heel today and see what I can accomplish. It's not as big of a problem in steel. Silver is darned short stuff though.
And sorry to hijack your post Chris. Bert just spoke about something I was thinking.
I'm happy to see all the nice fine scroll coming out. We are going to flood the market with the stuff and Marcus will have to sell his as the "Original" English fine done by an Englishman.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Just something I stumbled across on my Android phone was a photo editor that enables various "alterations", which came up with stuff like this..
I thought rather clever & maybe useful to get the brain working for decorative design.
What do you think?
I've not cut this, just messed with the previous photo:cool:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376683091465.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376683091465.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited: