Elephant practice plate

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Well I still can't get the flash to shut off on the camera but I got some of the glare off the brass by dusting it with talcum powder. Makes it look white but at least you can see it.
Practice 4 002.jpg

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks much better, Mack. In the other photo, I couldn't figure out why anyone would bother engraving a carrot for practice.

Chuckles,
Dave

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Brass black should do it, you can get it from Brownells or some gun stores, it comes in small bottles.
Carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any of the cold bluing solutions will turn brass black. Birchwood Casey Gun Blue or Super Blue, or Formula 44-40. You can probably find them at your local Walmart.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
MACK, I would recommend that you prepare your practice plates as if they were a real job. For example-this plate could become a key fob quit easily or even a money clip-You will find also that when you take the time to get things started nicely that you will like the piece and decide to use it or at least show it off. dont forget to date-you'll want to guage your progress.Fred

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Fred, Yea, I have just been grinding it off and using the plate again but I really should keep them and date them. I really wish I had the first pencil portraits I drew. I drew my wife first and we had a good laugh. It looked like planet of the apes. Would be nice to look back at the progress since I am in this for the long haul. Long as these two hands will work. Knock on wood. Oww that hurt.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Mack

Latest posts

Sponsors