Early Winston Churchill work

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Don Glaser gave me this casting years ago that he made of a floorplate engraved engraved by Churchill. I believe this was the period when Winston was working with Josef Fugger at Griffin & Howe. Fugger was a student of Kornbrath, and Churchill was, to a small degree, a student of Fugger.

early_churchill_1.jpg
early_churchill_2.jpg

mrthe

Beautyfull Sam! thank you to show it!
i have just recently discover the castings, heare in Spain is something that we don't should use to do, a great way to learning and study!
Have you some casting of your works avaible?
thank you

Sam

Staff member
No, I don't have any. I made some years ago but I don't have any now.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i think i have the same casting squirreled away somewhere!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've got a treasure there Sam. I can certainly see Fugger's influence in that piece as compared with Winston's later work.

Roger

Sam

Staff member
As I recall Don had the actual floorplate displayed on his mantle. A treasure indeed! :)

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm sure glad I took some time for a look back. Would not have wanted to miss this. Thanks for posting this Sam. Do you have any others of his works that you can post?

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Sam: I Saw The Actual Floor Plate Displayed In The Glass Case, In The Break Room, At The Training Center. I Think It Was During The First Grand Masters In 2005, And It Had Been Blued. We Also Got To See Numerous Pictures Of The Eaton Colt, Before The Book Came Out. Winston Is A Rare Talent, As He Does World Class Engraving With A Hand Full Of Chisels, A Burin, And A Hammer. All Of Which Had Handles Made From Circassian Walnut. I Could Not Believe He Could Do The Work He Did With An Optivisor, And Possibly a Ten Power Loupe. He's Also An Incredibly Talented Photographer, As He Demonstrated Outdoors On A Table In The Parking Lot. He Took Pictures Of A Beautiful Dagger, Made By Dwight Towel, Who Was Also A Student In Winstons Class. It Also Comes To Mind That He Was Pretty Handy With A Bull Whip, Which He Also Demonstrated In The Parking Lot One Day. I Also Remember You Trying To Coax Winston Into Using A Microscope, Telling Him How Much Better An Engraver He Could Be by Using One. I Also Remember One Day Winston Winston Broke Into Song About A Lady From Tijuana While Playing His Guitar, Accompanied By You On Banjo, And Dwight On Mandolin. This After Barry Hands Told A Story About His Escapades In Tijuana.

Sam

Staff member
Mike: No, that's all I have that I can post unfortunately :(

Tim: Your memory is great! He doesn't use much equipment-wise, does he. Back in the 90's he came all the way to Louisiana to test my microscope as he was intrigued by the idea. He engraved with it for a few minutes and decided it wasn't for him. I've repeatedly told him he wouldn't be such a hack if he'd just use a scope. My suggestions are ignored :) Nice to hear your memories of Winston's first Grandmaster's class. We're all very fortunate to have been a part of that.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Does anyone have a URl that shows more of his work?

arnaud "

I don't have a URL for you but there is a full chapter on Churchill and his work in both of my books.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors