Question: Drill press table

D Smith

I was able to find a drill press at a very reasonable price, it is a floor model with a base, then a cone for tube support and of course the rest. I'm going to put my vice on it.

Looking at the shop post. I've saw several ways to mount this. Under the desk, in front of the desk to way out in front of the desk(work table).

For those who use this type of setup. If you did it all over again would you make any changes to what your currently using.

Reason for asking is I have to cut the stand pipe and only won't to cut it once. If I cut it to short, I think you get the picture.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I think it depends on how large and how long are the pieces going to be that you work on. You will need more clearance if you are swinging rifle barrels vs working on rings. So, you can mount it accordingly.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Both of mine are set back under the front of the bench. I made a collar for the pipe to fit into - which is attached with screws under the bench top.

Cut the pipe to fit exactly while in the base.

Jacked the bench up, slid the pipe & base under, centered it under the collar and lowered it slowly.

The bench, fully loaded probably weighs 450-500 pounds... so the weight has been enough to keep the stand solidly stable

Would have bolted the base to floor, but was forbidden to by my ex. There is hardwood under the linoleum and plywood underlay.

Been using it that way for 14 years now. Did have it bolted to the floor in the old shops. 27 years in one and 3 in the downtown location.

Brian

monk

Staff member
as a newbie engraver, always plan for all the possibilities that may (will) come your way, not just the little jewelry pieces you might aspire to engrave. if you prevail in this art, you'll be amazed at the odd assortment of things that will enter your shop.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have mine installed just behind the front of the bench. If I had to do it over, I would cut the post down to the shelf collar to allow more swing room over the bench; i.e., have the shelf top surface even with the bench top. f course you could save yourself a lot of trouble for large, "swingable" objects, like barrels, by using a tree trunk for a stand-up vise like JJ uses.

Bill

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
D,
I cut down an old drill press stand and then just slid it under my engraving bench. It is movable and adjustable to accommodate different size objects.
Dan

Bench.jpg 20140707_190902.jpg

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can rotate a barrel, depending on your setup. The top of my block sits about an inch or two above the benchtop and the drill press has an articulating arm, as does the scope - so I can pull both out towards me. Plenty of 360 degree clearance...

But, I also sit in a drafting chair that is raised and that is a big help.

Brian

monk

Staff member
theres is a thread called 'show your workbench", or something like that. check all the fotos there. somewhere in that mess lies a solution that will work for you and the way you wish to work. whatever method you fly with, be mindful that you must work in comfort. ergonomically as some say. neck pain, back pain, shoulder issues-- all just waiting to
visit those that ignore the comfort factor.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
You can rotate a barrel, depending on your setup. The top of my block sits about an inch or two above the benchtop and the drill press has an articulating arm, as does the scope - so I can pull both out towards me. Plenty of 360 degree clearance...

But, I also sit in a drafting chair that is raised and that is a big help.

Brian

Hi Brian,
do you happen to have a picture of the drill press with the articulating arm? I didn't think I saw it when I was there.

I do sometimes having problems engraving long motorcycle parts hitting the post.
Thank you.
Denny

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nope, but the press (base) was from Harbor Freight maybe 20 years ago...?

You cannot see the "knuckle" underneath my chip pan unless you bend down or squat.

Pretty sure there are similar ones in the Bench thread that monk has mentioned.

Brian

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

With this setup you can swing a 42 inch barrel all the way around. The engraver is the only obstacle. Notice the wing on the right side of the table. There is also one for the left side but they are removable when not needed. The wings enable the barrel to be swung about 300°. This is great for shotgun barrels. Contrary to rumors I do some modern rifles and shotguns besides 18th century stuff. Notice the roller fixture on the left on the bench. This roller bearing roller fits over any barrel and allows it to be rolled when needed. There is a special fixture for double barrels.
The small table for the sharpening hone is fixed to the table and slides in and out. It also swivels. It is fixed so the table cannot tip over and break the a ceramic wheel AGAIN.

Last edited:

D Smith

Thanks guys for all the ideas! One thing I noticed is even though the drill press table rotates you are still using a turn table? Another question is, I see a lot of cut outs in the bench for the vice (the U notch) any reason for this? These shop pic's are worth a thousand words. Sometimes it's what is in the background that sparks the idea, and yes I saw the shop thread, where do you think the quest for the drill press stand came from.

Theirs never enough shop Pic's.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Another question is, I see a lot of cut outs in the bench for the vice (the U notch) any reason for this?

The bench cut outs are a hang over from the traditional European jewellers benches where the cut out was then mounted on 3 legs to make into a stool. As a jeweller's bench you would hang an animal skin underneath to catch the lemel - in more recent times there might be a try to hold tools. The cut out would also allow the worker to get in closer to and be "wrapped" by the bench.

Don't know if this is what you are asking about.

Roger

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made mine with cutouts so I would have a surface to rest my arms on at times. Also it provides a surface for any long object to rotate on. Also the post for my vise telescopes and has an elongated plate on top.

Last edited:

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I have mine mounted out away from my bench top however, my bench top is in a Vee. To engrave barrels I made a fixture to mount them directly to the drill press table which I can crank up so the barrels rotate about 1 inch above the support post. I also mounted my microscope support post in the inverted position to a shelf above my workbench so it interfere with the barrels.