Drill press stand for vise

Tundrwd

Saw thi setup at GRS, and I didn't take measurements. What's the best length/heights for a drill press to use for this purpose? Will a bench model work or best to go to a floor model?

I need to start checking Craigslist :biggrin:

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
The floor models seem to work best. If you use a bench top model, make sure it has an adjustable work surface and doesn't just use the base. I got one as tall as I could but would still fit under my bench. I turned the base around to the back and put an old car battery on it for weight. I tried to attach a picture, hope it works. P1010011.JPG

cloutier

I use a bench top but removed the base and lag bolted it to the bottom of my bench.....then i bolted a piece of corian to the work surface to make it large enough......nice and easy to sweep the floor with nothing mounted down there,heres a couple pics
2011-03-05_17-51-46_388.jpg 2011-03-05_16-37-54_374.jpg

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
.I'll have to post a picture of mine. I got a broken (motor) floor model drill press from Craigslist for cheap. I cut down the post to fit under my table and the heavy base keeps it very secure, it even has a heavy cast iron oil drip plate I turned to the back and that acts as a counter weight as well and makes a spiffy table to hold tools! With pillow block bearings mounted on top of and underneath the adjustable table and a 5/8" hole drilled into the table, I fit in the wheel head to my old potters wheel so I can re-center my ball vice to always have my work in the vice centered. It's the ultimate set up and works like a charm!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought a floor model drill press from Tractor Supply for a little more than $100 on sale. I had the main support tube cut off at the height of the under side of my bench. I had a tab welded to one of the cast rings that was part of it and drilled so I could screw it to the bottom of the bench. I also turned the base around backwards to get it out of the way. I didn't need anything to hold it down because the ring and the welded tab holds it rock solid as it is. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I should do that to mine and get rid of the old car battery. Doc, did you get any of the spring flooding where you live? My brother lives in Burlington and he got flooded pretty bad.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi;
I'm new to this great craft as well. I just picked up a Craftsman 10inch bench model drill press used for $85.00 on Kijiji. The column has the rack and gearing to raise and lower the table and after removing the head the column is just right for my size and bench height for use of my microscope. I'm not tall at 5'7".
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Don

Tundrwd

I use a bench top but removed the base and lag bolted it to the bottom of my bench.....then i bolted a piece of corian to the work surface to make it large enough......nice and easy to sweep the floor with nothing mounted down there,heres a couple pics

Like this idea. Doesn't touch the floor. As long as the bench is heavy and stable, seems like this would work well.

Sponsors