Drawing techniques.

Cameronseiger

So I’ve decided to get into engraving. I have some beginner tools on the way. I’ve never been amazing at drawing. I know drawing is a huge part of engraving. I understand the only way to get better at it is to practice.. and then practice a few hundred more times. But Is there anyone in this forum that might’ve been in the same boat at one point? Wasn’t very good at drawing and got better and better? If so how long would you say it took until you saw improvement? Once again any help would be appreciated thank you!

Cameronseiger

I was not lucky enough to live in a home where drawing was accepted, just kidding but friends don’t let friends do art. I’m 32 and just started drawing scrolls during work hours and then some 4 years ago. Your mileage will vary. If I could tell my younger self anything it would be don’t put the icing before the cake but you may not have that pitfall. I hope others will give their two cents.
I hope others weigh in as well. I’ve always been a little bit of a old soul as my mother says. Model building at the age of 8 and fly tying since I’m 10. So I think that’s why I’m drawn to engraving. Along with gunsmithing of course. I’m trying not to get ahead of myself, I want to take it slow and learn as much as possible. I believe I can do it. (Not being overly confident) but I’m also trying to stay optimistic! Thank you for some input

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
So I’ve decided to get into engraving. I have some beginner tools on the way. I’ve never been amazing at drawing. I know drawing is a huge part of engraving. I understand the only way to get better at it is to practice.. and then practice a few hundred more times. But Is there anyone in this forum that might’ve been in the same boat at one point? Wasn’t very good at drawing and got better and better? If so how long would you say it took until you saw improvement? Once again any help would be appreciated thank you!
probably a good 50% of the members, or more. i include myself in that crowd. the time required will be up to the effort put in. not only effort, but time spent practicing. there are many good drawing/design books you'll find by using the search bar.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Drawing is mostly muscle memory with artistic insight. Start with drawing the seperate elements. Curved lines, straight parallel lines, then move to s-curves and backbones. Be your own worst critic and make thousands of em. Look for lines with no elbows or flatspots. Train your hands to flow to the shape you need. When that's done start putting together those trained shapes.
Then when you start engraving, everything works differently, so you start all over again.
Sadly, there are no shortcuts....it takes lots of time.

Daannyycc

There are those with specific artistic abilities that make what they do look effortless. The other 90% of us have to just practice. Some not so much others have to do it daily to keep a modicum of proficiency. However, we ALL have a goal in mind and keep to that goal, no matter what. Unfortunately for me, I am more of the latter type so had to practice before scrolling on something good.

Instead of just trying to figure out scrolls, get some see through paper (your choice of transparency kind) and practice drawing over the top of the scrolls. This will give you hand/eye coordination and a "feel" for how the scroll forms. From the Major Lines to the minor lines.

Also, don't just stick to scrolls. Use all kinds of patterns to draw over as well as pictures. If scrolls give you troubles then faces will give you fits. But you can draw a whole entire scene and leave the face as just an outline.

When you can trace with some efficiency then transfer that pattern to metal and do it. Transfering is also an acquired skill (a minor one to be sure).

Sponsors