Don't laugh... first hobo nickel

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Ok... go ahead and laugh!:biggrin:

This is my first attempt at a carved coin. I will post pictures of my second carved coin if I can get it to re-tone as it is copper.

Anyways, I looked at other carved nickels to see how they did it and "attempted" to replicate what I could see.

I used Keith Pedersens idea for etchant and gun blue to finish the coin and I like how that part turned out.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas when I ask all my newbie questions!

Sorry, I don't have a very good camera!

Hobo_0001b.jpg

Hobo_0001e.jpg

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Hopefully Mrthe will add some thoughts for you...But I would say to keep going because I think you are on the right track! All in all cool! I might add that you should leave at least the dates on the buffalo nickels you carve. It seems that the collectors prefer them that way.

Donny

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
This is my second coin I carved. It is an 1850 Upper Canada One Cent Token. Yes, it was in bad shape and not rare.

Hobo_0002c.jpg Hobo_0002b.jpg

mrthe

Very nice firsts coins! just an advice try to leave the dates and words , erase them only if your design need to do it.
Collectors find more attractives coins with date amd the word liberty.
All the way nice job, your first nickel is much more better than my first one!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look fine to me.
I wonder (outside of the artistic value) if these shaved coins are still legal tender?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
legal, but why, after all that work ? one couldn't even buy a pack of chewing gum with it !

Latest posts

Sponsors