Done a long time ago remembering this day in history

mrthe

Amazing work,thank you for share it,a beautiful tribute to a very sad event, from time to time is good to remember what never be forgotten.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
It was 71 years ago today that my mother in law came downstairs for breakfast and heard the news. Her brother, Floyd Wells, had been killed. He was one of the five radio operators on the U.S.S. Arizona that was sunk in Pearl Harbor.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I was three years old back then going to a Christmas show in Newark New Jersey with my mother and father when we got the news,also heard FDR infamy speech on the radio.The radio was all we had back then no TV till 1949. J.J.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Been watching history channel all day. We did not learn much about WWII in school and I'm way to young to remember it. I can barely remember Vietnam Nam.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember Vietnam, I wrote the following September 2, 2009 and posted on my Facebook page.

Forty years ago today my father came home from Vietnam. I was five years old and made him a big poster on white butcher paper with red and blue markers that we hung on the side of the house. I think I was excited as I ever was as a child about my Daddy coming home even though most of recent memories of “Daddyâ€￾ was listening to those little brown reel to reel tapes that got mailed back and forth from Heber Springs, Arkansas and an Air Force base called Bien Hoa in Southeast Asia. It’s a real pity that those tapes got erased over and sent back with return messages on them, what a glimpse of our family history they would have made. I am not a religious man by most people’s standards, but I thank God that I got to spend the rest of my childhood with my Daddy, canoeing, shooting, Boy Scouts, working on cars and so much more. (and I should mention for the purposes of this forum, that my father was who first exposed me to engraving, and supported and encouraged my learning and career, from the first Christmas presents of tools and Meeks book and early classes at Trinidad State Junior College all the way to today. )

Today, four decades later he wants us all to go canoeing with him. So even though in my busy life I don’t really have time, I am going canoeing today. And I know I will be thinking of other children, who are sitting at home or school right now, and wondering and hoping when their daddies are coming home from Southwest Asia.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors