Question: Digital Camera question

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a Cannon 35 mm TL-GL SRL I also have several different lenses. Macro, Micro, telephoto (several up to the giant 1 ft variety) I have always been a point and shoot photographer and have own several 35 mm and 4 or 5 digital cameras. My best digital for ease of use and helping me take pretty good pictures is an Olympus SP-560UZ. Has menus for dummies and I can take pretty good pictures. Has lots of settings for all kinds of things and I can generally get pretty good photos with it. While it is SRL it has a power zoom from micro to distant non changeable lens. Since I have all these special lenses I thought I might like a Canon Rebel. Will the lens fit? Thanks Fred

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Im speaking out of turn or Ignorance .. I thought that they would fit, but not auto focus ??????

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In a nutshell, old film lenses won't work on DSLRs. I sold a ton of Nikon film gear...2 bodies, 4 or 5 lenses, filters, and other things on eBay for $350 when I made the switch to Canon digital. I was probably lucky to $350 for it! That was several years ago...probably worth even less today.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ok, all you xpurts:: why do i get better quality fotos (without regard to lighting) with a lousy, cheap, junk cell phone camera ? no fuss, no light boxes,, no diffusers,no tripods, just hand-held-press the dang button ! bang-- fairly good quality foto. i now use the phone cam exclusively, ignoring all the junk digital cameras i have. political correctness would have me avoiding brand names to protect the guilty.

monk

Staff member
so, you think i have a mind ? i think yer lookin thru some of my wool. i was wonderin where that stuff went.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Monk

BEEP BEE BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!
BEEP, BEEP BEEP.
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!
Jeff

Sorry folks, the monitors have determined that the foregoing transcript is unsuitable for public consumption.
For the full uncut version please send $9.95 + 9.95 S&H to me.
Must be 48 or over to order.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
Do the 35mm SRL lens work in any digit slr cameras?

If you wanted to buy an adapter with a lens in it that allows you to mount the lens on the digital body and corrects the lens registration length... you could get perhaps a few of your lenses to work manually. Why anyone would want to do that is a mystery to me. This same question has been posed on various forums for maybe 25 years. You're better off just going the whole 9 yards and toss that old film stuff out. I was resistant to it for the longest while. But, I finally sold all of my Mamiya RB67 equipment on eBay and got into Canon digital SLR's. That's just part of it. You'll find you need a high end monitor, a monitor Spyder to calibrate it, the full blown version of PhotoShop... etc.

Or, just take cell phone pictures.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
You can make all kinds of old lenses work on DSLR's via adapters or new bayonet mounts but you will be down to manual focus and stop down metering. All depends on what lenses you have and how you like the way they render the scene.

Peter

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a pile of cat crap. There are well over $2500 dollars worth of lens and stuff. I guess I will just take care of my pictures in 35 mm

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Fred there is a way to make old glass work, I am not familiar with the Canon system but your lenses might be compatible with one of the Canon bodies, do some research ;)

There is a place to start to give you an idea http://leitax.com/ there is a whole new industry out there that lets you use old glass on new gear.

Noting wrong with shooting film, my M6 is still my favorite camera ;)

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, you can make old lenses work with adapters, but in my opinion it's hardly worth the effort. If I'm not mistaken, you have no metering with the aperture wide open, so the view darkens as you stop down. Having no autofocus is not the end of the world, but being able to meter is pretty important.

If you want to shoot good pics of your engraving, get a Canon G15. Great point-and-shoot with excellent macro capabilities. I have the G12 and it does a fine job. The G1x is even better but doesn't do macro as well without a supplementary lens.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Using an old lenses has a sense if you already have a piles of it from the film era. It was a time you can buy this glass for nothing, but the prices came back again. Canon is the best choice because the camera's body is tinnier that rest of cameras and there are huge amount of inexpensive adapters ($6-12) for different brands. You even can put Hasselblad gear on Canon, but it is very complicated to operate.
Automatic exposure is working on Av mode, manual focus is not a problem for experienced photographers. Of cause it is slower than auto everything.
My favorite lenses, equal to Canon L line, are Carl Zeiss from Rolley 35, also Vivitar Series 1, Zeiss Jenna and Meyers from East Germany are good to.
I took a set of Rolley Zeisses on my recent trip to Venice and got a thousands of good pictures.
For macro photography Vivitar Series 1 105mm/ f2,8 is my choice .

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
That is a pile of cat crap. There are well over $2500 dollars worth of lens and stuff. I guess I will just take care of my pictures in 35 mm

Why not shoot on 35mm film (as long as you can still get it) and then scan the negatives or transparencies to digital? I know a few pros that still do that. Negative film has a lot more exposure latitude than digital usually. Digital is more like shooting transparencies when it comes to latitude.

Here's an example of one of the scanners at B&H:
Plustek OpticFilm 8200i SE Film Scanner

Latest posts

Sponsors