difference between sharpening fixtures? (newbie)

ouporblowup

so im looking at the GRS Standard Graver

Dual Angle Sharpening Fixture ( pricey )

and

Quick Change Sharpening Fixture

I just dont know the difference between these and im on a budget

ooo

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if you are getting something that has quick change collets, then I would only consider the quick change sharpeneing fixture.

Although for general sharpeing understaning, I think the Lindsay system is the most intuitive system on the market.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

The thing about all of them is that they all work really well. They will all sharpen your gravers but there are differences.

The standard graver sharpening fixture takes a bit more fiddling about and you are restricted with the angles you can produce on the heel.

The duel angle allows for any conceivable angles you may want to produce and you can stick just about anything into it. It works with quick change attachments or without them.

The quick change is designed for the GRS quick change attachment to fit into the piece and you have to be accurate in setting up the graver into the actual quick change piece.

The Lindsay sharpening system that Scott (above) refers to restricts you to the pre-set angles of the system plus it doesn't work with a quick change feature. You have to remove the actual graver every time.

My own personal preference is for the dual angle system as it is the most versatile of all of them.

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Glendo (GRS) has a collet that will fit into the dual angle and allow the consistent positioning of quick change gravers. It makes it extra versatile. Don't know that it's in the catalog, although it should be, I got mine when at a class 4 years ago.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dual angle all the way! Well worth the price as you can literally make any graver geometry consistently with it!

I also personally own the standard fixture too. It's very good and quick to use for flat and square gravers. But it is really limited to these geometries.

Latest posts

Sponsors