Didyoung (SHAWN'S) style

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I recently posted a comment under RAINY DAY about shawn's style of scroll and that I suddenly could see what It was that I like and said I would explain I myself like the folded leaf and the way it adds dimension to a scroll I have marked one of shawn's scrolls A B C to make it clear.
A: the inside or reversed S as lee griffiths says so often and in old styles it on the other side of the leaf yet in shawns it allows line B: to flow more naturally into the fold which then the fold C: flows into the stem in a more graceful way which mimicks the the stem giving a balance to both the backbone and fold and the S curve then giving the dimension by turning away like the leaf tip searching sunlight from within the viney scroll.
I hope this make sence and would welcome others views on it but I for one still like the style

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that is what I call a valuable post, thanks, Ray!

I had a gut liking for the reversed S leaf, and the overall design. It helps a great deal to have your analysis to chew on.

Must say I have enjoyed Shawn's regular posting of sketches.

best

Rod

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn very nice job someone will be very happy to have that one and thanks for letting us see it.
Hope you didn't mind this post as I have said before I do like your scroll style but hadn't put my finger on why till you posted the beer can killer then the light came on as to what I liked about it and made the comment and I am sure other are the same so put my thourghts down here.
thanks again and keep them coming :thumbsup:
Ray

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks ray. This kind of analysis is very interesting to someone's like me, who is outside of the form..

Latest posts

Sponsors