Help, please: Design or relevant advice

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am just finishing up a loosely patterned English muzzleloading rifle that I will be shooting in the Creedmore match at Friendship in June. I'm starting to work on the engraving patterns for the components.

I am drawing a blank on this trigger plate. I thought the plate would show actual size, but it didn't. It's actually only 4 inches long. Everything behind the vertical line will be hidden by the trigger guard. All the other engraving will be circa 1880 - 1885 Birmingham style.

Any ideas I can use?

gibbsplate.jpg

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A pineapple would have been the traditional motif. However, plates with those generally are longer with the pineapple shape extending forward of the screw hole. This one is so stubby, it doesn't lend itself to a pineapple. Other than a border above and around the screw hole and maybe some type of x-hatched crown just below it, I can't come up with much.

pineapple.jpg

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I would keep it simple & consistent with the originals you posted.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Still looking for any suggestions. So far all I've come up with is a wire inlay around the screw hole.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Have you checked out some of the designs that John Schippers has in his book? If I could describe what I'm thinking would help, haha, the sunburst rays like are on some of the locks on the extensions, if that makes any sense. Good luck at Friendship, haven't been back since the flood of 92, lol.
Mark

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,
I have been scouring books and looking at old guns for ideas. Had already decided on one of the sunburst rays for the point.

This is a quick sketch but is what I've come up with so far. Does it work?

pineapple2.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors