Question: Design, Draw,Scan,Print

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Im having trouble with the whole process.
I have an order from a friend that has bought something from me every year for the last 5 years . Now this is first year for engraving. All have been wood carvings thats what paid for engraving tools.
I haveTi braclet blanks cut at 6x1.
I traced a blank on drawing paper.
Drew the design at size of blank. Scanned then saved. to computer. Printed on Dell Lazer printer.
After all that, the scanner or the printer doesnt print at same size as drawn.
I have gotton close with Photoshop elements but I have the damm thing stretched and bent out of shape. Looks like somebody sat on my scroll design.
The other night I was throwing paper away as fast as it was coming out. Wife just shakes her head.
I have paint,Inkscape,gimp,Photoshop Elements.
Can someone tell me what step im missing

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
I would think the trouble would be with the printer settings....check the printer preferances. On my HP laserJet there is an effects tab where there are three selections that can be made. I have actual size selected. This maybe worth a look and see what selections the Dell printer gives you.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Possibly you need to check your printer settings to make sure it is printing at 100% scale.
Likewise, you need to check your scanning preferences to make sure you are scanning at 100%. Either setting can throw you off.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You may need to go to the control panel, click devices & printers, click on your printer then right click go to printer preferences and make sure the resolution is set like 1200 x 1200 or 600 x 600 not 1200 x 600.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hat do a pencil transfer.
Draw on one side of tracing paper. Flip, and retrace on your prepared titanium. Easy peasy

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
In photoshop use the print with preview instead of print. This will allow you to adjust the size and location on the page.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
don't know if my idea solves anything-- for quite some time in corel draw, things didn't always come out as they appeared on screen. i adjusted the screen aspect ratio in corel so that an inch on paper showed 1 inch on the monitor. that way it was wysiwyg from there on. this way if it's good on screen, it will be good on paper. maybe luck was on my side as i never had to adjust any of my printers.