Question: Darkness of shading

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
This may be a really dumb question because I've tried searching for an answer and haven't found anything so here goes: Everything else being equal, will a narrow angle graver produce a darker shading line than a wider one?
Thanks,
Phil

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Phil,

Generally, yes. One way to consider it would be that one of the properties of light is that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. If light hits a surface at a 45 degree angle, it will bounce back, or reflect at a corresponding 45 degree angle (technically 135 degrees, but you get the idea). The closer the angle of the wall of a graver cut is to vertical, the lesser the ability of light to reflect off of that surface. What you end up with is sort of like a roach motel for light; it goes in, but it doesn't come out. Any light that doesn't come out equals darkness. A more vertical side wall will have a greater amount of light not reflecting out of it than a more shallowly angled cut.

Best regards,
Doug

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Doug-
Thank you! I'm glad my intuition is still working even if nothing else does.

Andrew Biggs

And always remember that lines closer together look darker than lines further apart. To get the desired effect with shading this is really important. Darker areas will have more lines than lighter areas.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
i think there was a side-by-side foto of these effects posted by chris decamillis. it showed the differences rather nicely. not sure, but you could try looking for this in the tips section.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Unlike most engravers I use a 115 graver polished on a ceramic lap for shading....Chris in his Bulino vid confimed what I found that wider was better....for bulino I use a 105 graver polished on a ceramic lap.....the secret is that graver must be razor sharp and have a high polish to get cuts that reflect the light...

Roger Henrichs

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Phil,A study of the etchings of Rembrandt will give you a clear picture of darkness,Rembrandt was the master of light & shadow. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors