Daniel Brush's steel type?

alheilman

I have been reading about a fascinating goldsmith named Daniel Brush.
I would love to learn more about the type of steel he used for his amazing work.
Does anyone have a reference?
Stunning work.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
He taught himself to engrave in banknote style, made his own tools and worked in stainless steel, along with everything other kind of metal that would meet his design of the finished piece; including aluminum and bakelite.

He didn't like to teach and the story goes that he wouldn't sell a piece to someone who didn't connect with the item in a personal way. His work goes back to a much, much older style where making things on a schedule was not the object; completing his vision was.

Stainless steel. Not sure if they were shaped by the manufacturer, but I wouldn't put it past him to do it himself.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have his book and his work is stunning. We exchanged emails years ago and he knew my teacher Lynton McKenzie. I would also like to know more about his techniques.

alheilman

He taught himself to engrave in banknote style, made his own tools and worked in stainless steel, along with everything other kind of metal that would meet his design of the finished piece; including aluminum and bakelite.

He didn't like to teach and the story goes that he wouldn't sell a piece to someone who didn't connect with the item in a personal way. His work goes back to a much, much older style where making things on a schedule was not the object; completing his vision was.

Stainless steel. Not sure if they were shaped by the manufacturer, but I wouldn't put it past him to do it himself.
I read that in his books. Trying to find further info that may not be out there. Appeciate the response.

Latest posts

Sponsors