CZ Shotguns

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Has anyone ever engraved a CZ shotgun,if so what are they like to engrave? J.J.

JJ Roberts

Roger,I believe the shotguns are both double guns in 20ga.,Im meeting the client at the gun show this week end.Have you ever engraved a CZ shotgun? J.J.

sinan

CZ guns are made in Turkey. Huglu factory makes these shotguns. They use 4140 steel. All the gun manufacturers use this kind of steel in Turkey. They all buy their steel from the same steel manufacturer Asil celik in Bursa, Turkey.

This is side plate of Webley and Scott which I had engraved. It is 4140 steel too. They had given to me some of them to practice. The Turkish gun manufacturer Akus makes Webley and Scott shotguns here in Turkey.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 166

JJ Roberts

sinan,Nice side plate,are you going to ad some scrolls to it?Thanks for the information on the CZ guns.:thumbsup:J.J.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
dbl brls comple14.jpg JJ;

I am a gunmaker who has been learning to engrave. A project that I have been building for 7 months is 20-bore double rifle using a Yildiz 12 gauge SxS action and making a set of barrels for it from Verney-Carron barrel blanks. The Yildiz action is CNC machined from 4140 alloy bar stock and it is hard on the surface. I was concerned that the hardness might be all the way through the action from heat treating so I sent Yildiz an e-mail asking. They responded in less than one day telling me that the action had been surface hardened by adding a coating of white chrome. I am now polishing the action starting with 150 grit emery cloth to a final of 400 grit in order to prepare the action for engraving. The white chrome seems to be a couple of thousands of inch thick.

I will try to add a photo of the double rifle taken one-month ago where you can see that the action fences have been polished and the remainder of the action has not. Removal of he chrome coating leaves a very soft annealed (it appears) 4140 steel.

I suspect that if you send an e-mail to CZ here in USA that you can get the answer you need. I sent the model number of the shotgun action in the e-mail to Yildiz in Turkey.

I finished the barrel engraving last week and sent them up to Doug Turnbull's shop for blacking.

Regards;
Steve

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Steve,With your talent in building a guns why are you sending the barrels off to be slow rust blued? J.J.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
JJ;

As you know rust bluing barrels is a slow process, and it takes up a lot of time. And although I have the equipment for both rust and hot bluing, I want to spend the time I would use for rust bluing the barrels to engrave the action. I did hand polish the barrels to the quality I wanted before I sent them up to Turnbulls's, which took a week of part time to ready them. Turnbull's is one of the few finishers in USA that have the proper bluing chemicals and can rust blue barrels that have been polished with 600 grit emery cloth as the English do. Since I am 70 year old self-taught amateur engraver it takes more time for me to engrave than other who are professionals, because I have to correct mistakes as I go as well as I am learning as I go. Also I am a craftsman engraver versus an artist engraver like you and Sam and I do not have talent for any drawing; but for some reason if I get an image on steel I can engrave it. I started trying to learn engraving with a hammer and chisel 4 years ago when I retired, and last year bought a Lindsay unit, which was like a revelation to me.

Kind Regards;
Steve