Cutthroat trout engraving

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Could not understand the title right off ! ! ! I still think you got way to much time on your hands, and having way to much fun with it . Great post !:yes

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Based on the loupe I'm guessing you were redoing the spots using your newly honed Italian style bulino skills, right?

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Barry, I don't think we are aloud to keep cuts in MT. At least not on this side of the divide. Either way, nice fish.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, My Mother is coming to visit and being a fourth generation Montana girl she insists on fish for breakfast, so I went out at 6 am to a little spot nearby and beat the water for 30 min or so, and was about to give up, when this fish got tangled up on my line.
As to the title of the thread, I think this is a westslope cutthroat trout, but it could be an eastslope, so I thought I would not be too specific.
I am a licensed flyfishing guide, so you would think I could tell the difference, but the fact is, I usually let the guests do the identification(espescially when it comes to entimology).
As to the spots, if it had a few more toward the tail, I would be sure it was a westslope,maybe I can add a few :)

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Eastslope, for Cuts : On Lakes, three daily and in posession, no size limit, and this was caught in Bigfork bay, so, it is legal by about 100 yards, it it had been in the river, it is too large.
Most waters are closed for Bulltrout, that is probably what you are thinking of.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's funny.
Barry you know the only way you can tell the difference is when they swim. One always swims to left and the other always to the right.

kguns

Barry,

Once it's in the pan it's a Montana cooked trout, legal on any table :yes

Kurt

Loved the pics from Gardona VT Not much has changed = timeless, beautiful

Andrew Biggs

So lifelike, so real.............the trip to Italy really took your work up another level. :)

My favorite trout recipe............

Fillet trout, pour a nip of rum over each fillet and a teaspoon of brown sugar rubbed into flesh. Leave to marinate for about a couple of hours.........then smoke.

Delicious!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
My favorite trout recipe............

Fillet trout, pour a nip of rum over each fillet and a teaspoon of brown sugar rubbed into flesh. Leave to marinate for about a couple of hours.........then smoke.

Delicious!!!

You left out some important parts of the recipe:

Fillet trout,
Open rum bottle, taste it to make sure it's ok. Pour a nip of rum over each fillet and a teaspoon of brown sugar rubbed into flesh. Taste the rum again to make sure it's still right. Leave to marinate for about a couple of hours.
Every 25 minutes taste the rum to make sure it hasn't changed. when the fish is done marinating, baste it with rum, after first tasting to make sure the rum hasn't turned sour. Then smoke the fish, and serve with a glass of rum.

Andrew Biggs

Hey Gargoyle

That's a much better and more refined recipe than mine.

In fact that sounds so good that even if you didn't have the fish.............the recipe would still work just fine :)

Cheers
Andrew

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Up here it's all beer. And the trout usually go directly from the water to the pan, much like the Brookies did in this pic from a couple of weeks ago. Butter, heat, and salt were the only ingredients.

Attachments

• 6-20-10.jpg
    6-20-10.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 78

Andrew Biggs

Eastlope.........try gently poaching trout in beer. It tastes very nice!!

But not that maidens water lite beer..........I mean real beer :)

Then add ground up fresh parsley

Cheers
Andrew

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a beautiful fish
As a kid we fished in the Rockies and cooked the trout over a fire in the frying pan at our campsite.
Delicious!

Latest posts

Sponsors