Custom Rifle by Steven Cale of West Virginia

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
This is going to be a great year!! Last September I did a brief tutorial on script and block letter gold inlay on Lindsay's forum. It encompassed inlay on an action and barrel for one of Steve's rifles. In addition, there is fine, hand cut knurling on the sling swivel buttons.

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4269&highlight=inlay+tutorial

I was honored to work on this rifle as this rifle is to accompany Steve (and myself) to Reno in 2011. Steve is seeking full membership in the ACGG.

This rifle features a blued stainless steel barrel (yes, I said blued stainless), a Remington 700, left handed receiver, fantastic walnut + metal/wood fit and 22 lpi hand checking.

This rifle was owner financed and the owner has decided that more gold inlay is needed ... including the floor plate. (great for me!!) I think before any engraving goes on this rifle, it needs to be seen.

I try to surround myself with talented individuals who I know will rise to the top. I hope you enjoy the photos we took outside in the 15 degree weather today ... Steve Cale is going to put West Virginia on the map and those of you who see this rifle in person next year will agree.

p.s. If there are any photos missing that you would like to see .... just ask and I will get them next week.

Chris

Last edited:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a beautiful rifle, and the stock work is amazing! The wood itself is something else. What kind of trigger is that?

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Seth .... (love the avatar by the way).

I'll get that info for you Monday.

Also wanted to mention ... the 6.5-284W is the caliber designation I ask to to inlay. It's a necked down 284 Winchester also known as the 6.5 Norma.

With yet a few minor details to complete, it was presented at the West Virginia Hunting and Game show in Charleston last weekend. Once those are complete, including gold inlay on the bolt handle knob ... it's time to go national.

Thank-you again,

Chris

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very clean inlay work, Chris, and the rifle is killer! No doubt it'll get a lot of attention at Reno next year. Keep us posted on the progress as you add more gold. :beerchug:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Chris,
That is a beautifull piece that you and Steve have created.
Wish him the best of luck on his ACGG application next year and really look forward to seeing the rifle and you in person.
'till then, best.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank-you all very much. I'm glad that you like the rifle and Steve's work.

With so much going on with jewelry, knives and m/c projects, I have very little time for gun related work. It's a pleasure to work with Steve when he has the need for my work. So far, all of what I have done has been limited to customers who have decided to add some engraving to bottom metal while having an older stock refinished or something. This job was Steve's completely from beginning to end so I was finally able to see how my little part turned out in a fresh, new build.

There's only one thing more exciting than experiencing the completion of a project made by hand and that's being unable to find anything wrong with it when you look it over and review the photos.

Thanks all ... Chris

by the way JohnB ... I have advised against engraving until after this rifle has been submitted and examined. I figure any engraving would be a distraction from the skills that Steve is trying to achieve full membership for. As much as I want to add whatever the owner wants, I hope I have given good advice.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris...........One thing I forgot to ask.

Blued stainless steel??

I was under the impression that it couldn't be done. Either that or I've made an assumption that is clearly wrong :)

So is this a secret technique that the maker has developed ???(no worries if it is) Or is it fairly common knowledge??

Cheers
Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Chris,
I can see your point re the engraving, good plan.
Although the ACGG members are very knowlegable about engraving this way the rifle stands or falls on it's own merits and you and Steve will never have any doubts about the outcome.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Chris, you are the only engraver I know of that is not just bouncing up and down to cut on sombodys gun.

You are a unique character, :thumbs up:

From what I can see, that rifle is world class. And it's made right here in America.

I love the simple elegance of that scroll. Sooo clean!

I will be looking for Steves name in the future, and you to, my Friend.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You read correctly Andrew ... blued stainless. The process is actually done with a hot stainless black solution. Correct temperature is crucial. It is also very difficult to apply to a highly polished finish.

My thoughts exactly John. As tempting as it is to go over the top, I am inclined to be ultra-conservative in that respect. Even if it means recommending a second floor plate ... one for the owner and one to remain left alone. The smallest highlights in gold can have a great impact and that's something Steve and I will have to discuss at greater length.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, you are the only engraver I know of that is not just bouncing up and down to cut on sombodys gun.

You are a unique character, :thumbs up:

From what I can see, that rifle is world class. And it's made right here in America.

I love the simple elegance of that scroll. Sooo clean!

I will be looking for Steves name in the future, and you to, my Friend.

I've been called "peculiar" too Charlie :)

I guess there is an advantage to having my irons in many different fires and that affords me some luxury in choosing to work exclusively with Steve Cale on some of his creations. I'm not a fast engraver by any means unless I am cutting jewelry .... then I'm a little faster. I guess, for now, that what will continue to dictate what I am able to engrave when I'm not busy chipping away on the things that reduce the pile of bills on my desk the fastest. :)

Thank-you my friend. Try to convince Ron to engrave your rifle. Nothing less will suffice!!!

Chris

by the way .... "American Made" all the way!! The era of firearms manufacturing may be drawing to a close in this country but that void is undoubtedly being filled by customs that can compete on any world stage.

Last edited:

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris,

Very nice job on the gun.

Andrew,

The black oxide for SS is called black magic SS-C

Here is a link to it..

http://www.hubbardhall.com/chemical-apps-metal-black-oxide.htm#stainless

4.75lbs/gal, chromium free, temp 255-265 F, Mil Spec 13924,

A friend gave me a 25gal barrel about 1/2 full of the powder to mix up the stuff. Extra after a SS job he did. Should be interesting to mess with:shock:

AirAmp

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
such a great and beautiful, graceful thing to admire.in my naivete,i was unaware that ss was ever blued. the line of the cheekpiece, the checkering,leading to the barrel-- just makes for a grand looking rifle.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

You are studying hard and coming on fast. Very clean and elegant accent in gold. Keep us posted on anything else you do on that rifle and I'll see you and meet you next year in person if the creek don't rise again.

That rifle looks to be a fine piece to work on and Yes, this year will have to be a better year.

Ron S

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. Steve doesn't get on the Net much but I'll have to let him know the photos came out great and he needs to check this thread out. As my part on this was minimal ... it was my intention to introduce him to the Reno folks. Maybe we can get him on the forum.

Ron, there's another rifle in the works as well. A Mauser. There will be more engraving on that and I'll post it.

Chris

Sponsors