Cross over from machinist to engraving

Rolland

I have been a machinist for most of my life and recently got the engraving bug since I want to make some spurs and bits another new hobby.
I built this die filer a while back for shaping small metal parts, guns and such. For those that might not know they mount a file in the vertical shaft and with reciprocal action used for shaping metal dies. I have found that it is really useful in shaping silver for either inlay or overlay. Now I just need to learn to engrave the parts. Thing is I am proficient in working steel but I have met my match on engraving work, seeing the work shown here I am humbled.

Attachments

• 100_1758.jpg
    100_1758.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 100_1746.jpg
    100_1746.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 287

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
having the ability to precisely shape steel parts is a blessing to those entering the world of engraving. welcome to the forum. don't be shy, share your fotos with us.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now I just need to learn to engrave the parts.

"Let's put a man on the moon. Now we just need to build a rocket." :rolleyes:

remember to enjoy the journey without thinking too much about the destination...

PS- nice job on the profiler.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, nice die filer,I belive this is a great place to learn. Have fun and keep it simple at first, time and practice will do the rest.

scott99

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Read the tip section, everything from start up tools to inlaying gold.

Keep a complete updated profile, there might be someone with experience close by.

Read, read, read, and make good use of the search button.

Merry Christmas, Thanks for joining. :)

Carlos De La O III

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Second time, now. I have to dig out my die filer, non Keller, and do a rebuild. I think I may have seen plans for a die filer in the Home Shop Machinist a while back. I would gear them to run slower than they do. Also, where the files attach, and if making your own, it would be adviseable to make different sleeves, for different files, as chainsaw files can be used as well as others. Die files cut on the downstroke, hence, the chainsaw file. A small bellows or soc may be used to keep out filings. My English files are as crooked as are bananas, but the Swiss files are dead straight. Of course, they cost $$$. For safety sake, PLEASE DO NOT get too close to the work in progress, as you'll suffer the fate of the spike bayonet. These machines are like many that you don't use too often, in that when you need one, you really need one. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Something to think about, Ron. I profile my spurs with a jeweler's saw, 2/0 and 2 (lasercut gold) then go to the file. Saves alot of time this way.
Jeff

Rolland

Second time, now. I have to dig out my die filer, non Keller, and do a rebuild. I think I may have seen plans for a die filer in the Home Shop Machinist a while back. I would gear them to run slower than they do. Also, where the files attach, and if making your own, it would be adviseable to make different sleeves, for different files, as chainsaw files can be used as well as others. Die files cut on the downstroke, hence, the chainsaw file. A small bellows or soc may be used to keep out filings. My English files are as crooked as are bananas, but the Swiss files are dead straight. Of course, they cost $$$. For safety sake, PLEASE DO NOT get too close to the work in progress, as you'll suffer the fate of the spike bayonet. These machines are like many that you don't use too often, in that when you need one, you really need one. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Ron fyi I use the files from Victor http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Parallel-Machine-Files/2215.html and cut them in half which gives me 3 inch files which is perfect for filing the thinner parts like spur bands and overlay pieces. The longer files have a habit of stabbing you in the eye faster than you can blink. I just regrind the shank to fit in the carrier.
I will try to post a photo of set of spurs I am currently working on prior to attempting to add the precious metals if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Sponsors