Criminal Minds

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gun on the right is the one I engraved for Joe Mantegna (David Rossi) of the CBS show "Criminal Minds".
The engraving was just the name "D. Rossi" on the slide. I would have loved to do more work, but it was for a reason: I'm told the gun is being written into the show script in an upcoming episode.
Sorry about the picture. I didn't take it, but it did come from Hollywood.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
So they're using a real gun as a prop on the show? Somehow I thought they always used replicas. Interesting.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Apparently not using a replica. I sure didn't engrave a replica.
BTW----the gun is a Cabot National Standard 1911 in .45 ACP
@ Mike Cirelli....they most likely won't be casting me as a stand in. Turns out, I have a face for radio!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Go Brian and may it lead to many more wonderful opportunities

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, you hit on something very important---and that is "opportunity".
The business end of "ENGRAVING" is nothing more than marketing yourself. However, you need to be good enough to be able to create "value" with your work.
When you combine an opportunity with preparation, the result is the event most people call "Luck".
Years ago, I was attending an NRA convention in Pittsburgh with my good friend Ray Phillips.
I wandered around the convention and saw a booth---CABOT GUNS, USA. They were a brand new company. I'd never heard of them before, but introduced myself and dropped off a few biz cards.
To date, this is the only engraving job I got from them: "D.ROSSI" hand engraved on the slide.
Not a huge request (opportunity), but the important thing was I was able to do it (preparation).
Some luck, huh?

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

I think that Pittsburgh NRA show is where I first met you. I also met Paul Lantuch for the first time at that show. It pays to get around.

Roger

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's right Roger. We first met there, and the second time we met was as roommates at Grand Masters the following year.
It more than pays to get around----because the opportunities ARE there.
But, you must be prepared.
So...be careful who you pick as your critics. The world may not be so kind to you.
Success only comes to those who are ready for it.

Latest posts

Sponsors