Creamer Pistol Done!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Creamer documentary pistol is finally finished. Just got the pics back from the photographer and she's a beauty. As I mentioned before, this one was a collaboration between myself (engraving) and Bob Browner (builder). It is a copy of a pistol owned by Andrew Jackson. Original gun by Phillip Creamer. Bob couldn't have done a better job with mimicking the wear on the original.
The pistol will be auctioned off at the CLA Show in August. A big thanks to Bob, David Wright and everyone else who helped on this one.

Attachments

• Browner full near_17@300.jpg
    Browner full near_17@300.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 242
  • BrownerLock_7@300.jpg
    BrownerLock_7@300.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 246

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I have a technical question. How is the checkering done along the back of the grip? Is it continuous to the other side or does it terminate to a center border? It's very well done and period correct to the best of my very limited knowledge. Was it done one line at time with a rifler?

Thanks again for posting.

John

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wish I could answer the checkering question but it was done after I worked on the engraving and Bob and I are several states apart. I can tell you that it completely encircles the grip. As to what tool, checkering tool or file, I couldn't tell you. I got the gun before the final finish when all the metal was in the white.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I was impressed with the checkering and was pretty sure it wrapped all the way around. I've seen others contemporary builds where they tried to use Dem-Bart type tools and can't get them to work all the way around so they terminate badly along the back of the grip. I've practiced on pistol and non-pistol projects and I use a rifler and work one line at a time and do okay given how little I've done freehand checkering. To make it wrap around and look right takes endless adjustment of the line as you work around. I think it would be near impossible with a parallel line tools. I'm not sure but I've come to the conclusion that's how it was done on many early American pistols. The Brits had a different style. Very well done, perfect checkering but lacking the individual character and variation of the American Gunmakers.

I seen pictures of homemade riflers/checkering tools by early Tennessee gunsmith.

A pleasure to view.

John

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not sure but I've come to the conclusion that's how it was done on many early American pistols. The Brits had a different style.
John,
That style of checkering is actually known as early English flat-top checkering. Although this gun is American made, it is in the style of English makers like Ketland, Manton, Egg, etc. Flat top checkering is more decorative than functional; ie, it does not enhance the grip. I forget the angles of the tools used, but the sides are closer to parallel than common V shaped tools. The tops do not wear off like conventional modern checkering.

Latest posts

Sponsors