Question: compressors

hash

Hi all,

As a jewellery designer embarking on an engraving quest, I need to know which compressor would be deemed useful. As I will be working on soft metals and alloys, would a silentaire 20 A be enough? There are models of the same brand but with more psi. My thoughts are not to spend more money if you don't need the extra power.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tank may be a little small. SilentAir is great. I'm just worried about the tank size. I use the SilentAir ValAir 50. It has a 4 gallon tank. It does very well.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It depends on what tool you're using. If you use one of the GRS machines, that 20 won't be enough. It isn't a matter of psi but of cfm and the tank is so small on that 20 (I think it's .4 gallons) it will be running all the time because the GRS line of tools consume more air than that compressor will adequately handle. In short, that's a good way to prematurely burn up an expensive compressor.

GRS sells a silair that looks like a big pancake compressor rather than a suitcase and it will handle the gravermax/mate/mach/ etc as it has a bigger tank. It is also available elsewhere on the web so google it for the best price. Mine came from some T-shirt artist supply place in Texas I think.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
psi doesn't do the work. cfm or cim does the job. it's the volume of air that does all the work.

K&D Ngrvs

Hello To All I wished to post a reply about compressors I recently bought a great little compressor It is a california airtools model 4610 ultra quite compressor to run my gravermach , It works great and puts out ample air supply And the best thing is it was only 230 dollars got it on line at walmart . On Sound level very quite see a demo on you tube under gmc cyclone compressors, I am not sure if the company changed its name or what . I ran a line from the garage to the shop in back and with it running i can not even hear it running threw the garage door standing a foot from the door ( Amazing ) I do run a small fan to keep the motor cool when doing longer engraving jobs. A great little device .

Latest posts

Sponsors