Completed wedding band.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thought I would also post a picture of a wedding ring I have completed. This was all hand pushed with the background removed with a small ball drill. then a beading tool used for texture wedding band.jpg

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your comments. I had better tell you the story behind this ring. When I joined this forum in 2007 I knew nothing of engraving. I am a diamond setter by trade and when I saw the great work you all do I knew I wanted to do it to. After many years of studying..... firstly lettering and then very basic scrolls I decided to ornament this ring. This is my own wedding band and the first scroll engraving I did on something other than a flat practice plate. My hands were shaking when I put the first cut on it and I thought Oh My God. I am going to have this ring for the rest of my life... What the .... am i doing. When it was completed I was so proud of it that I am going to leave it as it is just to remind me of my achievement after so much practice. As most of you guys are in the U.S you will be proud to know I flew with my Mom, Dad and fiancee to Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee to get married in June 2010, so it took 3 years of hard practice to get to this meager level. Still a long way to go yet!!!!!!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Darn nice ring. I'd be proud to wear that. Congratulations on a job well done!

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Shading is great, but this is a gold men's wedding band. The typical pounding men's rings take would destroy any delicate shading in only a couple of years. Not shading will preserve the great looks of this ring far longer. Bravo!

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your comments. Feel free Unclejohn to use the design. I feel humbled that someone likes it well enough to want to use it.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I prefer it without the shading. Shade lines will accelerate the wear and on wedding bands don't serve well into the future. Looks real good. Skipping the shade lines does your client a long term favor.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Well done :thumbsup:
I was wondering about the shading.. maybe it would look better but is there any point?
Surely fine shading will wear off or get scratched up in no time.

Andrew Biggs

Not having shading because it will wear is like not having bulino scenes on guns because it will wear.

You can actually cut a little deeper with shading on jewellery work.

Besides, you'll die of old age before it wears to the point of non existence :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
i guess it helps if you use a machined or die-struck ring rather than a casting?

I was interested in having a go at rings but i`m abit unsure of using castings & i`m having trouble sourcing die-struck in Europe (preferably silver for starters)...

Latest posts

Sponsors