Announcement: Coming soon: New BradyBlok Scrimshaw/Bulino fixture

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After seeing new tools emerge on the market, I just had to get in on the act.
This is a new idea for scrimshaw and bulino workholding that I thought would make for a great little portable fixture for trade shows and travel....and for the beginning scrim artist on a budget. It weighs in at a nice 2lbs. 5 oz.---it practically fits in your pocket!
Because Sandra Brady was so instrumental in the development of the prototype and the production models, I decided to name it after her. Thanks Sandy!
I made a shameless, self-promoting You Tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP08kxhzAB4&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• BradyBlokMontage.jpg
    BradyBlokMontage.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian,Thats neat,and portable would be great for the shows what is the price? J.J.

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks! Chalk it up to laziness. I'll explain:
Since I'm just a "one man operation" at trade shows, I never really get much engraving done. I trimmed my demos to just doing bulino work during the show. I put the scroll work, etc.,etc. on the plate at home. The crowds find it fascinating to watch us---even if it's bulino. I didn't have to lug around all of the heavy stuff ...except the ball vise.(and now, I don't even have to do that ).
When I recently started practicing scrimshaw, I realized I didn't need a ball vise at all for that type of work either.. A few phone calls to Sandra Brady for technical advice and out popped the BradyBlok.
Like anything else, it has it's limits. It won't replace the ball vise. You can't hammer gold inlay with it. There's no drag features. It is very slippery. It does work with air tools if you Thermolok or glue them down, but it is really way too much of a light weight (2 lbs., 5oz.) and I don't recommend it for that. I prefer the ball vise for engraving.
It was designed for scrimshaw and bulino work on small pieces that won't tolerate clamping.
Great for trade shows, beginners and travelers.
...and JJ: everything else you need to know is over here: http://www.powleyengraving.com/profitcenter.htm

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a great idea Brian. I hope that you do rake in a ton of cash.

I have a tiny Muhlmatt vise that needs a new doughnut. Do you sell those little Tivar doughnuts seperatly?

Thanks,
Roger

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, sorry,those are sold as a set only for now.
Since the radius' of the fixture and the base are identically matched up, I'm not sure it would work anyway.
I'll bring some with me to the Engrave-In---if I have any left.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Arrgh... where was that 2 weeks ago!?!
I was demonstrating at a 'UK game fair' and had the displeasure of carrying all my equipment, (including a heavy ball vice) up & down three flights of stairs for two days!

It look like a fantastic idea Brian. Love it! :)

Jo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,

Regards, holding 'scrimmable' items, how would you hold something like a piece of antler or bone?

I'm assuming Thermoloc wouldn't be advisable, as unlike metal, it'd stick to the porous material, and you'd never get the stuff off. (I have a very nice Rotring rapidograph which, on my very first try with Thermoloc, attempted to use it to mould the hot Thermoloc - I won't be doing that twice) :confused:

And I can't use modelling clay or plastercine, as the oils inpregnate the porous, natural materials, and give them a horrid translucent appearance. (Obviously, man-made polymers are fine).

Jo

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo, I use Green "dopping" wax. I think I got it from Rio Grande but don't really remember. You can easily chip it away from the bone or ivory or dissolve it with a bit of acetone. Cameo carvers have been using it for decades. If your trying to hold a larger, irregular shaped piece, then use the "split mold" technique with Thermoloc. Just wrap the bone or ivory piece in thin plastic wrap before molding the Thermoloc around it.

Latest posts

Sponsors