Colt Navy Plans

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nothing to do with engraving...just for old pistol enthusiasts.

Just come across this plan I did back in the late 1970's, it was taken off a London Colt that I had borrowed and later made.

Phil

Colt Navy 2000.jpg

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To be honest Sam, I don't know how I had the time to do all of these things, I mean the plan alone must have taken quite some time to put together and draw with pen and ink, let alone actually making the gun, and for me, having limited access to lathes etc. The frame, barrel and everything else apart from the cylinder and screws where cut from steel blocks with a hacksaw and filed to shape! I guess it's a case of, if you want to do something bad enough you'll find a way:)

Phil

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's not dated Sam but it has to be middle to late 70's, it's drawn on plastic tracing sheet about 24"x18".

Phil

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
so, you have never had time to go to the prom ! who needs a social life when one can do this ? very nice of you to share this. tyvm

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, the only revolvers that were spared were antiques and guns of special importance. We were told that all guns handed in were to be melted down :rolleyes: You can imagine how many guns were handed in and the overall payback value, most of the guns would be in very good condition...and these were all melted down :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Phil

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
That is really something, Phil. The Navy was the first pistol I bought and the first pistol I engraved. I shot mine a lot before I engraved it, and became almost as fond of mine as Bill Hickock was of his. I say 'almost' because my life did not depend on it the way his did.

It is a shame that so many fine firearms were destroyed for political reasons.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There you go Mike, I do however have a (Originals) Colt collection and the Navy is one of them;)....I played cowboys a lot when I was a kid :biggrin:

Phil