Coloring inlay.

anmarinov

Elite Cafe Member
Following the work of famous engravers I've always wondered how to manage colored inlay. Finally managed using oxidation of silver. This work!

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I was just out on my bench practicing a few cuts, when I see your work I realize how much practice I have to do. May not live long enough to produce anything that good. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Don

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the effect but I think unfortunately that it is only temporary. Unless you have a bullet proof way to maintain that finish it will not last. To bad too, cause that is a great look.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I suppose you could use backing lacquer to protect the work, couldn't you? Great job, BTW.
Something else you might consider using is color enamel.

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
An excellent job.
It is very likely that the silver finish by oxidation, but is protected with a lacquer.

** Does anyone know of the possibility of oxidizing the 24-carat gold to create different color effects?

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gold does not oxidize or tarnish. Erosion is its only enemy hence its value. No matter how we protect art works the will eventually decay to dust. Steel will rust and other materials will fade over time. Engrave your name, your deeds in pure gold and bury it deep in the earth in a place no one is likely to build and you will be remembered forever. Save the cost of your funeral and grave that no one will visit after a few years and use an ounce of gold to be remembered for ten thousand years. or become a mass murder either will work

Latest posts

Sponsors