Color bulino like color scrimshaw

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Does anyone have information as to how Tim Herman does color bulino engraving? I came across this a few hours ago and after about an hour of searching I found almost nothing. One post on engraving forum showing an engraving he did and one on this site where someone commented he shared the technique.
Would be interesting to incorporate, I have seen some videos on YouTube done by David Adam’s with in-depth detail on color scrimshaw and I’m wondering if the technique can be applied to bulino with color ink. Gets me thinking! Thanks for any info!

dylan.mk3

I would imagine using colored ink rather than the typical black used ? I remember when I first started I would use whatever sharpie I had closest to me to color in my lines and make them more prominent and I have some old practice plates with purple lines. Im sure youd have to find a quality ink and mess around with the consistency to get a good mix but that would be my guess.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Scratched bone is absorptive to some degree, which metal is not, so you probably need to think about a pigment ink, instead of a dye ink. You need something that will sit on top of the metal surface of the cuts AND adhere to them, which is why most engravers that I know use either Rustoleum flat paint [sometimes diluted slightly to aid drying] or printers block ink [also sometimes diluted or heated to aid drying if required by limited drying time available] on metal. Dye inks do not show as well on metal, but maybe you do not want it to show that well for some subtle applications.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scratched bone is absorptive to some degree, which metal is not, so you probably need to think about a pigment ink, instead of a dye ink. You need something that will sit on top of the metal surface of the cuts AND adhere to them, which is why most engravers that I know use either Rustoleum flat paint [sometimes diluted slightly to aid drying] or printers block ink [also sometimes diluted or heated to aid drying if required by limited drying time available] on metal. Dye inks do not show as well on metal, but maybe you do not want it to show that well for some subtle applications.
I was thinking along the same lines so I ordered speedball block printers ink (same kind I use when inking regular engraving and all my bulino work). I’ll be testing it out this weekend. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Sponsors