Question: CO2 usage question

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey all,

I have a question for those of you ACTUALLY USING large CO2 tanks for your palm control. I'm talking the 20lb tanks or tanks in that size range.

How long does a tank last you if cutting 8-10hrs a day everyday?

How much does it cost to get your tank refilled once its empty?

Thanks,
Ray

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
If this helps any...
I use CO2 for another use (my foredom graver doesn't need it)). I did use 24 ounce paintball tanks and refilled every 2 weeks. When I switched to a 20 lb tank I now get a fill once or twice a year. I was paying $4 a fill for the paintball tank, now pay $25 for a fill on the 20 pounder. The initial tank cost is the only drawback. I use a Harbor Freight CO2 regulator on the large tank rather than try to adapt the PB tank fitting to the larger valve. http://www.harborfreight.com/regulator-gauge-94841.html Note: Harbor freight sells some 20 cu ft tanks... not the same as a 20 lb tank at all. I bought my tank from the welding supplier that I buy my gas from.
Hope this helps give you an idea of how long it will last powering a graver.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That does help some. So $25 for a refil.

I can get 6-8 hrs average work time on a 24oz tank.
So if you went form a 24oz tank every 2 weeks to a 25lb tank every 27 weeks, we are basically at 10-12 times as long. more or less.
That would put me at 60-96 hrs time on a 20pounder for $25.
It would probably be slightly more than the 60-96 due to some loss at the end of each 24oz tank.

So I could basically cut 2-3 weeks on the road in my camper for $25 per refill once the initial tank/regulators were bought.

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
And you can get the 20 pounder refilled at any welding gas supplier. Lots more of those scattered across the country than PB fill stations. You can opt to fill your own pb tanks from the 20 pounder if you get the hookup. Not sure you'd have a need, but it can be done.

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok ray the chippest tank you going to find I think and is real light to carry because they are aluminum is in beveragefactory.com they are on sale for $114.99 we have them in our shop to carry them in the truck for welding and they have safety guard around the head to prevent damage to the head so for your camper they would be ideal ooo and they also sell the regulators that way the only thing you would need is a keg of your best bear and a two product regulator and you would be set for the road

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Ray
I use two 20 lb. Tanks
I recently finished a project where I cut all day every day for several months
The Tanks would last between two and three months
My Engraving room is 15 by 30 Ft.
I have Co2 detectors but the Palm Control uses such a minimal amount I have not had one go off as yet
I pay $25.00 for a refill now but have payed as much as $40.00 in the past (different welding supply)
I like the fact that it is clean and no noisy compressor
Ken

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Looking at the numbers, there are theoretically 13.3 24 ounce tanks in one 20 pound tank. There are variables such as inaccurate fills, leaks, etc. but you should be able to extrapolate from your experience with the 24 ounce tanks. I found that worked out pretty close for me when I switched to the larger tank. You might want to consider getting only one 20 pounder to begin with and save the cost of the second unless you REALLY find out you need it. I'd wager you can find a welding supply within reasonable distance from any camp site you park at.
One thing to note is that the tank stays at the same pressure ~800psi until you use up the liquid co2 in the tank. then there is still about a paintball tanks worth of co2 at useable pressure left in the tank. When you start to see the pressure drop on the tank you'll know it's about to run out but you will probably still have a day's worth available.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys!

That helps a lot. As I travel teaching classes around the country, this should help me get some cutting done along the way.

Ray

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
When are you coming to Texas

Carlos De La O III

This also has peaked my interest????

Back to the tanks, I don't have a clue, but I found with my welding tanks the bigger they are the heavier they are. I would go with a couple of the paintball tanks as emergency backups and a 10 or 20 pound for regular use. In my area there are gas companies in every big town, we have 3 suppliers here with a population of 120,000 people.

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Ray
I use two 20 lb. Tanks
I recently finished a project where I cut all day every day for several months
The Tanks would last between two and three months
My Engraving room is 15 by 30 Ft.
I have Co2 detectors but the Palm Control uses such a minimal amount I have not had one go off as yet
I pay $25.00 for a refill now but have payed as much as $40.00 in the past (different welding supply)
I like the fact that it is clean and no noisy compressor
Ken

I'm interested in where you found your CO2 detectors? If you don't mind sharing? I have yet to find one anywhere near affordable.

Joe Jacob

CO2 detectors are probably not what you want. Rather an O2 detector/alarm is the preferred instrument where life safety is of the utmost concern. These are not cheap, and where your your life is concerned you don't want to buy cheap. We use Honeywell and MSA gas detectors every day at work. They are routinely calibrated and certified by our mechanics. The "cheap" ones are about $500, and the good ones go for about $800 and up. I have personal horror stories about the misuse of CO2. It is a very serious matter when you are using a gas that will displace oxygen. Look up the MSDS on carbon dioxide, you may decide against using it. By the way nitrogen is also a problem, another horror story. The best is to use compressed air. If you are using a Lindsy tool a small airbrush compressor will work well. Use a power inverter to get 120 vac for the compressor and you will never have to worry about refilling a tank.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why do you need co2 I play paintball and co2 is out nitrogen, aka compressed air is in, not only does it hold more in the same size canister I fill it up for free at the paintball field...do some research it would certainly be safer for your health

Carlos De La O III

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Well... If I wanted something other than a CO2 detector I think I'd have asked for something other than...
And my use of CO2 requires CO2, simple as that. I'm not playing paintball or running a palm control.
The fact that Ken posted he had multiple CO2 detectors caught my eye since the least expensive I've seen were close to $200 and UP. Mostly UP.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK guys lets not get crazy here. Sure co2 has its dangers. But just about everything you can say about co2 you can also say about the use
of propane/propane appliances and carbon monoxide in an RV. Yet.... millions of RVs out there use propane appliances.

A $50 CO/CO2 detector with alarm from the local RV center would probably be just fine.

Nitrogen is an option that I will look into. But I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill here. I have had 3 of the 24 oz tanks blow within a few minutes of each other one time in the cab of my truck due to the bonehead at the PB shop overfilling them. Three of the 24 oz tanks at one time in the small cab of my truck did not displace enough o2 to do me any harm. Scared the crap out of me when they blew but I did not asphyxiate.

Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors