Clear Shoe Polish For Photographing Work.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Has anyone tried putting clear shoe polish on their pieces prior to photographing. It seems to reduce glare and make them easier to photograph.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
glare

Ken,Im going to try the clear shoe polish,that glare has beem a problem for me when trying to photograph any firearm in the white.Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup: J.J.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, glare can be controlled perfectly with a small photo box or tent. You can make one from paper (light it from the outside) or you can get a small fold up photo tent.With any of these you control your lighting completely. By rearranging the angles thru your cameras view finder you can get your lighting down before you take the first photo. I use a tent made by Lastolite (about 100 bucks). I am very new to digital photography and use my digital camera on "easy auto".All I do is move the object around looking thru the view finder until I see the lighting get to the point where glare is not a problem and click I am done. I took many photos over the years with film cameras and used the same system, it just removes lighting as a problem.100 bucks seems high but my tent is 25 years old and works like new, literally there is nothing to wear out so it is a one time effort.

scott99

aalv2003

Try deodorant antiperspirant spray, these ones who let a white powder like talcum powder when applied. It is used in photography to minimize reflections of lights and environment when photographing lenses, curved reflective surfaces, etc. Apply light, even from distance and let dry. After use can be removed with a dry cloth.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I use a white plexiglass dome which costs about $15-30 @ http://www.plexiglassdomes.net/. I have 2 sizes.
You can drill a hole where you want or they will put one in.
It also helps to have your light source "behind" the camera so light is reflected away from the lens rather than back into it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam used transfer wax to slick down his hair. you all know what happened with that !

ahenson

You can make a really cheap light diffuser with a large embroidery hoop and a translucent shower curtain. Just cut the shower curtain a bit larger than the hoop and install like fabric. This works well hand held, but even better when mounted.

Don't place or hold it too close to hot lights. This works really well to get a soft, even light on a piece without much money invested. :)

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
See if you can get a copy of John Shippers book Engraving Historic Firearms. Check out page 436. He gives a good explanation of how he did many of the excellent photographs in his book. It might be a help especially if you are going to keep a record of your work as printed photographs. Don't forget to read page 442. He has a very interesting story to tell.