Claesen - 1856 gun engraving ornament

en2siastic

I bought the book ornament and subject of Charles Claesen 1856 on ebay Belgium, a year ago, I thought you might be interested with these prints.
Here is one of 40 prints of old style engraving. Just let me know if you want more. Claesen a.jpg
Francis.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Master French Gunsmiths' Designs, sadly long out of print, contained some of Charles Claesen's 1856 pattern book along with numerous ones by others. Most of the designs have the engraver or designer's name but the above does not. How much if any was actually designed or engraved by Claesen is not something I have been able to ascertain. Some of the pages are marked "Establ. Lith. de Ch. Claesen a Liege". I ran across an original Claesen pattern book, very large and thick, at the Beinfeld show a few years ago. It was wrapped in plastic and I was not sure what the $1000.00 price would buy so passed it up. Who knows?

en2siastic

Hello Sam, in fact it is not a book it is a hard cover, with a collection of 40 prints inside, there is no binding. Charles Claesen is the editor and publisher, usually the name of each artist is engraved under the ornament.
I was lucky to buy this collection for $125.
Well, now I have to find a way to post better pics, because the details are nice and de layout is interesting.
Best regards.
Francis.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That is a great buy Francis! I believe that what is in my book is a reprint of that same collection and yes, there is wonderful detail in it. I have found ditital cameras work well for getting the detail but one has to reduce the file size just so to be able to post and have the detail remain. Maybe Mr. Alfano can explain that better as I don't really know how.

Thanks for posting this thread.