Chinese Hobo Nickels on ebay

ColinSick

Has anyone else noticed that growing amount of hobo nickels on ebay coming from Hong Kong and China. I first saw them on pintrest, clicked on the link and it took me to ebay where I found a ton of beautiful hobo nickels. No exaggeration on beautiful, these are some of the best hobo nickels you’ve ever seen, and most are priced under ten bucks. I’m tempted to buy one to see what they are like. Most of them are buffalo nickels and I wonder if they are laser engraved or some sort of cast then machined, I’m fairly certain they weren’t hand engraved. Good over to ebay and look for yourself, then chime in with any information you might have. I was all for restoring national relations with China, but now I’m no the fence.

Attachments

• IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 107

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Most stuff from communist China is smoke & mirrors. I doubt they are hand engraved or most likely produced from a master. Remember they work for pennies an hour or day. Not to be trusted imho.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How can you tell if a hobo nickel is real?

Cut lines on early hobo nickels show wear, and are smooth to the touch; debris within the cuts, as well as scrapes and gouges, are apparent. All original buffalo hobo coins have early dates and many are carved on one side only; in most cases, with their only tool — a penknife.Sep 12, 2020

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They’re faked. And not very well. Look closely at how uneven the “LIBERTY” lettering is.

Latest posts

Sponsors