Question: Cheaper power hones available?

jldj

Buy a Cheap Chinese $150.00 faceting machine off Ebay. Rigg up some shims.....maybe....or cut some thin sections from a plastic cutting board to get the right height. Most of the machines run 1/2" arbors, so any backing plate with a disc on it should run.

gcmeleak

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Can I ask if you made any modifications or how you are using it. Thanks
I literally use it as designed ( it is a rayshaw tech ), along with a GRS 105 degree and stand. If I want mirrored polish on my bits that's what I get. I am Totally able to reproduce my my graver perfectly

gcmeleak

In both of the worlds of engraving and gemstones cheap is just that cheap, it seldom holds up and invested money and time will lost forever. Both worlds use the same type of laps cutting and polishing.

jldj

Cheap is cheap. But there's a big difference between 150.00 and 1500.00. Same with micro-motors....I've run a cheap Chinese version for the last 4 yrs. Finally gave out. Will buy another off ebay for 160.00 or so. And run several more yrs. Or I could but a 750.00 Foredom. Nope....ran a
Foredom for many yrs too....both machines get the job done.....both wear out with constant everyday use.....Foredoms were reasonably priced just 6 or 7 yrs ago. The manufacturers of any equipment constantly test the waters for what the market will pay and raise prices...cheap off brand products hold back the flood tides. No the cheap ones aren't as good, but the dude doesn't have a Bank-roll like some of us.

jldj

And I'm not using a Cheap power hone. I have the Tom White version - that was a little less than 400.00 when I bought it. Now their a good bit more than that. I also have a Sterling faceting machine. That will sharpen gravers every bit as well as the power hone - albeit cost a couple grand and I use it for faceting stones. The fact that it works on gravers - gives me the idea of a cheap faceter instead of a power hone. And I know the cheap faceters work for their intended purposes (although not as well as a 5000.00 Ultra-Tech), because beginners are using them all the time.

jldj

And truly the Lindsay system is the best "Bang for the Buck" as some have stated imo. Sharpening by hand is therapy for me.......and I can't even engrave.......just cut metal....

Latest posts

Sponsors