Chaser's hammer,

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
I'm gonna make one for myself.

Does anyone know where there is a drawing with basic dimensions?

I watched Ron Smith cut a beautiful scroll by knocking a chisel around with this little hammer, I don't remember what that chisel had on the back to hit ?

OK, I'm gonna cut some metal with a hammer and chisel, but I'm going to make my own tools for the start.

I am astonished to discover that one of those viceses that look like a bowling ball cost around 500 Dollars.

Well I can't do that, but I will think of something.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Charlie. Welcome to the Cafe. Engraving with hammer & chisel is very satisfying, and so is making your own tools. I machined my hammer years ago based on my own dimensions, and made a bunch gravers from discarded highspeed steel hacksaw blades (just to say I did it). Somewhere I have plans for a McKenzie style hammer that Lynton drew, but I'm not sure where they are at the moment.

~Sam

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Charlie, here is one solution for a vise, mine is a South Bend lathe chuck 4 jaw. holds just about everything well. cost me $50. I do have a magna-block also but got it later as my pocketbook allowed. I use the hand tools also, just they way I'm wired I guess.
the hammer head shouldn't be too heavy & the handle must have some spring, or it will tend to break points.
attaching a pic of my vise.
Kent

Attachments

• myvise&bench.jpg
    myvise&bench.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 268

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Charlie, here is one solution for a vise, mine is a South Bend lathe chuck 4 jaw. holds just about everything well. cost me $50. I do have a magna-block also but got it later as my pocketbook allowed. I use the hand tools also, just they way I'm wired I guess.
the hammer head shouldn't be too heavy & the handle must have some spring, or it will tend to break points.
attaching a pic of my vise.
Kent

You got a bearing on that baby?

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Charlie, yes, it sits on a bearing that I inlet into my wooden bench & on the bottom rides on another with a hardwood block & a 3 balls supporting the shaft which is 1" cold roll steel. On a floor flange (1") I attached a large piece of hardwood cut out in a circle which I rotate with my feet.
btw, my German hammer is about 30 some yrs. old & still hammerin' away. Paid about $20 for it way back when.
LiKe Scott P. says, "quality has no regrets".
Kent

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Charlie, this is a hammer that was given to me when I was a a student of engraving in Italy. With a lot of practice you can do this with it.

Attachments

• comission colt rh view w tools.jpg
    comission colt rh view w tools.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 297

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charlie,
This is one that I made for myself. It's probably crude and bulky compared to what others use, but it's good enough for the guy using it.

I had a friend who owed me a favor turn a dozen of these heads for me. I told him they were flat tappets for a straight 8 Buick engine. I bored a hole in a square of hard maple and glued in a section of 3/8ths hickory ramrod for flexibility. As a beginner, it has served me well enough up to now.

Dave

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
hi,
here is the drawing of the hammer we done in school when i was student.

Attachments

• mp107.jpg
    mp107.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 258

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum buddy. You should be able to find just about anything you want to know about here.

Show, or post your scratch built steam locomotive. I'm sure they will enjoy seeing it as well as I did, but it is much more impressive in three demension. It has that WOW factor.

I think you might even find some engraving block ideas in the archives and/or tips section.

The drawing that Pierre just posted is the traditional chasing hammer, and you can build it with a planishing tool on the opposite end like the one shown, or like mine, which has a ball peen configuration.

The chisel can be made with a furrel to keep the wood from splitting, but I like the wood to metal contact on the end you tap. Seems to soften the vibration a bit. Also, that flexibility in the handle is pretty important for the same reason.

The configuration of the chisel is pretty varried with any engraver as to length, diameter etc. due to individual preferences. If you have a wide end on the hammer end of the chisel, it will be a little easier to "find", as your focus is on the chisel point and the broad face of the chasing hammer helps to hit the chisel easily so that you can focus on the point of the tool, rather than trying to hit the chisel, if you get my drift.

I showed you guys at the GMP a piece that Charlie made you will remember. He does superbly flawless work.

Post your engraving tools when you get them made, Charlie. We will all enjoy seeing them.

Rock on Charlie!!

Ron S

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
This may or may not be relevant. We make or buy tools out of necessity or want with cost sometimes being a factor. Sometimes the cost of new tools contributes to our decision to fabricate something at home. Now I know making tools can be satisfying and sometimes only a hand made tool will do, however I could easily make a $500 hammer at home that is a real jem to see, or spend under $50 for a good chasing hammer, and even under $20 for a cheap import. There is nothing like making a tool specifically for ones own hands and shop I agree. I certainly have my share of tools made at home. I just paused to check ebay, would you believe there are chasing hammers under $10, now those have to be pretty sad. I know many of you on this forum must have the proverbial $500 hammer or equivalent in some other tool or devise.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Well Ron, you are the man that's got me inspired to try a little hammer and chisel work.

Thank you my Friend.

I have learned several things this morning already. It seems that hammer needs a springy handle, that's good to know. I also like that 4 jaw chuck vice idea. And the chisel has a wooden back end to beat on, so, a new trick for this Old Dog.

Attachments

• EdHume2.jpg
    EdHume2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 167

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's a photo from my website of some of Lynton McKenzie's tools, including his chasing hammer. As you can see, the hammer is not the springy handle that many engravers use. It's been my experience that there are as many styles, shapes, weights, and handle lengths and thicknesses as there are engravers.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Charley,
Welcome to Cafe.
Here are my hammers and chisels. The hammers are casted after wax models, the robber molds provides easy replacement. The grips are made of apple wood and oak. Apple and pear is the best materials.
The weights are different for various needs and scales of work. The hammer on the left is the smallest you can buy on the market.
The chisels are mostly high speed and Glenn Steel, easy to do and easy to replace.

Attachments

• emMG_6992.jpg
    emMG_6992.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 153
  • em_MG_6995.jpg
    em_MG_6995.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Pollum

I've no advise for a hammer, but I made a rotational vise for about $25 by mounting a small vise over the center of a lazy susan ring bearing. It gets the job done. I got them both at Home Depot.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam...In the picture you have what are the two tools to the left between the hammer and the chisel, and how are they used?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made these ugly beasts years ago when i couldn't afford to buy hammers. i stii use these once in awhile these days. ugly but they work automobile/truck valves, file handles. the one is made of hex stock, and has a hardened piece of drill rod in the end for peining work.

Attachments

• HEX HAMMER.JPG
    HEX HAMMER.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 95
  • HAMMERS.JPG
    HAMMERS.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 107

Andrew Biggs

Here's a plan for a chasing hammer from John B that he has asked me to upload.

The hammer head dates from the 1800's styles used in England and the US of A.
Just as an aside one of my students, (now deceased) made a small business making copies of these after he took the classes.

He used to sell quite a few by placing an advertisement in The Engraver a few years ago.
I can also take a picture of my hammer and handle for a later post if you think that might help.
Andrew, I think you used this hammer with a brass punch to set some silver or gold when you were here to visit a couple of years ago.....................................John B

Attachments

• Engraving-Hammer-John-B.jpg
    Engraving-Hammer-John-B.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all who sent in information and replies to this thread. I moved the chasing hammer info to the Tips section so we don't loose track of all the good advice. :)

Sponsors