Charles Hubert pocket watch question

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I purchased this watch as a carry watch, it is a quartz movement and it says it is a brushed chrome case. I just wanted to do a little simple engraving on it like some initials. Can I just secure it gently in the vise with some thermolock? Or would that screw up the opening? Would it damage the movement?
Any advice would be appreciated. image.jpg

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
DO NOT chuck it into a vise, or use thermoloc. Pocket watches have a specific direction in which the hinge pin must be driven out, held & driven gently. I'm not familiar with this one. Since many of the newer models have plastic movements, this doesn't help. Remove the cover to avoid problems, and you can use your thermoloc then. Also, avoid 'snapping' the cover shut each time you open it. Depress the top button always when closing the lid. . .press, close, then release. They will wear out. You should always remove a movement when engraving, or doing other case work.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chrome? I wouldn't touch it myself. If you do, be really careful as there's no way to repair a slip.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Chrome is a funny thing, not to go against what has been said or the decision you have made. This has been talked about many times if it is on aluminum do not touch it, but that being said zippo lighters are chromed and many do engrave them with great success. Now the value on a lighter is small, the watch usually quite a bit more. Knowing the base metal is important before venturing forward. If it is brass it could engrave. Again the problem is could engrave, and as Sam has pointed out a slip cannot be fixed.

Eric

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Funny this popped up since I just had an Issue with one of these. It was one of those jobs for a very important account of mine that I just couldn't say no to. The version I did was gold plated. Long story short, after engraving with the top off, I found my alignment was off just enough to be visually annoying when I put the top back on the watch. I tried every trick in the book to sand, re engrave and re plate the darned thing but little bubbles kept popping up. As a last resort I called the company and they were able to send me a new top for around $15. All worked out in the end but needless to say I lost money on this one.
This is a lesson I have to RE learn every few years. Don't mess with plated pieces.
Layne

Sponsors