Channel setting....

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Firstly excuse my photography skills or lack of (I`m working on it..honest).

My modified "Coggan bulino", basically I`ve taken away that sharp edge each side, which allows me more access to tight channels..
URL=http://s617.photobucket.com/user/Gemsetterchris/media/DSCN3052_zps7c3d545e.jpg.html]
[/URL]

After figuring the centre of the channel & cutting a bearing each side the stones fit snug & level with plenty of metal above to play with.

After tightening, I cut with a small flat..an angled edge to neaten things up..you can just see on the right hand side where I`m at.

And finally done & ready to polish up..

Any questions? :)

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No questions Chris just a big compliment on the nice job and thanks for pointing us at the use of the Coggan point for this kind of work !

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I`ve been using the Phil Coggan bulino tool for channels for a fair while now, it`s a very versatile tool.
The shape is great for diamonds, cutting a nice angle for the shape of them & you just adjust the face size to suit your stones girdle size.
Mostly I`m lumbered with 1 - 2mm stones, so the small thin tool is perfect especially by grinding the sides away abit.
Only when I can`t get to places I`ll use a bearing cutter.
This is just my preference these days..you can use other methods & tools.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do pretty clean work and THIS is clean work. Actually all of your work is among the cleanest I've ever seen Chris.
Layne

Sponsors