Announcement: changed views.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I want to start by saying that I apologize to anyone I might have offended in my past post. I recently got my copy of Mr Ron Smith's book , advanced drawing of scrolls. And after reading the first 32 pages I realized what a fool I have been and unappreciative I must seem to the engravers who have dedicated their lives in the art. Reading his words touched my soul as an artist. I truly understand there isn't any real shortcuts if one wants to master the art. I have been told time and time again, slow down , keep it simple , learn the basics and fundamentals. Foolishly I trudged my own path. With very little to show for my foolish efforts. I pledge now to do my best to keep the true spirit of this fine art alive. I guess I had to fail to learn.

Thank you goes out to all that have come before me in keeping the art true. If not for your efforts and struggles. Beginners like myself may not have ever had the chance to learn the true art of engraving.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess I had to fail to learn.

Beeen there, done that. The interesting think about learning is while you strive to learn what to do......more importantly you learn what NOT to do. Learning is a life long event for all of us and when someone says they don't make mistakes......step aside and let them run with it.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
You have just taken the first step to becoming a wiser person.
Most here have done the same and some still to do (maybe)
Iam close to 60 and still learn something new ever day.
Well done.
Ray

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, well it looks like you have a nice view of the funnel (deep hey), seems like so much to learn,but it will come. The people on the Forum are a font of important information. The Forum itself has tons of information so you have a lot to look at and learn. I can only finish here by thanking all of the members that have helped me, not only with their tips but with their patience.

Lots to learn but you won't find more help than here. Have fun.

scott99

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I really understand I was moving to quickly. All my books , DVDs , the cafe , internet. Is a fountain of knowledge. And I must sip from the fountain. Only to wet my lips, and savor it. I was over thinking everything and trying to learn all the steps at once. Now I believe I can learn .

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do understand and recognize your attitude very much Jared, I also was ( and am) very eager to learn and then you are very tempted to run before you can walk.
But don't blame yourself, your contribution to the forum was and is very informative, welcome and much appreciated.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
It is hard to crawl when you want to run, but crawl we must. Just as it has been with my gun building, the more I learn the more I realize I have so much more to learn. It is the same with engraving. I have finally learned not to rush the journey, but to relax and enjoy the trip.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I know what Mr Ron Smith wrote was just his views and observations. But I could almost feel his passion as I read along. It hit me hard and I honestly felt horrible in realizing all the bad things he talked about was what I was doing. We new engravers just don't understand how easy we really have it sometimes compared to how it use to be. I was taking all of the people trying to help me for granted . I have heard some people talk about mind shift before and one cannot grasp it until one experiences it. I do feel more relaxed and open minded now. I would suggest any and all read his book. Its very inspiring.

Engraving isn't just a thing we do its a lifestyle.

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Sam

Jared's 2 posts :clapping: should be stickied AND made mandatory reading for ALL, not just new boots.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jared, I think instead of beating yourself up, be proud that you have the passion that got you started on this journey. I find so few have the passion in any endeavor but see it as an avenue of added resources. Sometimes it takes an epiphany to realize what it really takes to learn, then the joy becomes their reality and the road never has an end. Welcome to this road of knowledge and enjoy the stroll!
Best regards my friend,
Mark

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
speaking for myself ( and probably many others), when you become serious about this artform, or any other, it will consume you till you become "at one with it". then all hope is lost, you will forever be a part of this, and this -a part of you .

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the encouragement my friends. I look forward to seeing everyone that can attend the engrave in this year. There is nothing like being around friends that are like minded.

Latest posts

Sponsors