Carved Stainless Steel Pendant

Andrew Biggs

Well this is a first for me. Both carving and sculptured gold overlay as either technique I had never tried before. After seeing Phil Coggan’s tutorial on how to do it I thought I’d give it a try.

The gold mask is 24k gold wire overlayed onto the steel and fully sculptured as well. The photo flattens it a bit but all the edges are rounded and shaped. John B and Sam Welch helped me out with the finer points of that process.

The process was a long one especially since I was not 100% sure of what I was doing along the way so it involved quite a bit of thinking, observation and guessing. It also involved making tools as I went along and making alterations to them to perform better.

It was also surprising the sheer number of tools used along the way. Gravers of various shapes from square 90 degree to small flats and flat chisels, hammer, scrapers, burnishers, beading punch, punches, inlay tools and finally very small abrasive rubbers that I brought from Rio Grande. It’s fair to say that a great deal of the work was done with hand tools with no power.

However it was a very enjoyable exercise where I learnt a lot and is something that I’d like to incorporate in future work.

The small picture is actual finished size.

As usual, your comments and critique are always welcome.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bravo, Andrew!
It's always nice to see your work and I'm sure it was enjoyable for you to see your work turn out so well for your first venture in sculpting.
I know I was surprised to realize how much the metal moves when you use a punch. I swear,you could almost turn a key fob "inside out" just by using this technique.
While at Grand Masters, I observed Winston Churchill using his tools for sculpting.
He taps so lightly,but keeps going over and over and over and over again.
I suppose you'll be using this fob to hang the keys to your new Holden on or maybe the Astin Martin?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I don't know whether you amaze me or just tick me off. You make this all look too easy!!
:)
Seriously, that is one great job!!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bravo indeed, Andrew!! That's wonderful sculpting! And hats off to Phil Coggan for his tutorial! You've really done an excellent job, Andrew. The only thing I don't like about it is that I didn't engrave it!!
Congrats / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's wonderful! :) I like the interlocking scrolls at the bottom - it sort of looks like a second mask/face.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a great looking design, cut and sculpted exceptionally well.

Thanks for posting it.

Peter

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, is there something in the water down there?
You're toooooo humble, just exquiste work as usual.
thanks for showing what is possible.
Kent

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Excellent work all the way around. A very nice layout, beautifully sculpted scroll work with a very smooth finish! Almost too good for a first try! I am always in awe of your progress and creativity and look forward to what you attempt next.
Isn't it fun to try something new?

Weldon

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew Your talent is incredible! I can only imagine what your work will be like in a few more years. The sharing of tecniques and the tutorials are wonderful . I think we all learn a lot,so let me say thanks to all that contribute. Chris

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On top of all the above mentioned Andrew just got done producing another fantastic issue of the Engraver!!
It should be in the mail to members the first part of next week. I don't know how he does it, but I think this issue is better than the last!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Disgusting Andrew, absolutely disgusting.

If you don't get a lot of money for that job..........................

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew~ You are a multi talented man and thank you for blessing us with your artistry. It is always a great feast to my eyes and to lavishly view your pieces.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Sponsors