Career change...

Bob Savage

Good morning,

Most of my "forum" time has been spent on Sam's Facebook group, but I do lurk here. I put the post I'm going to place below on that group and while there wasn't much along the lines of advice, it was suggested that perhaps I should ask the question(s) here. Any/all input is greatly appreciated.
------------------

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible and avoid telling my life story.

I'm no spring chicken - I've been fortunate to have been gainfully employed for many years to which I am thankful. My hand engraving journey started January 2021 and I consider myself blessed to have picked up as much as I have in this short time, particularly considering there was about 6-8 months of downtime in there for equipment issues and a cross-country move (though I kept up the drawing practice).

My desire for some time now has been to leave corporate America and the industry that has paid my bills for decades and to move to doing something I enjoy. This includes hand engraving as well as a the jewelry, drum key and other designs I do via digital sculpting (I use a casting house to produce these products).

Well, corporate America has now assisted me in making the transition via a layoff.

All of this is to ask this group, more specifically those who are or have been self employed (as an engraver is especially helpful) for any and all advice you may have for the transition. I'm looking for anything and everything including marketing, developing a brand name, what should/can be written off, what you're using for health insurance, you name it. If you have any advice for me I want to hear it.
Thanks in advance and sorry it went a little long but I wanted to provide some context.

Finally, I don't want to put a link and potentially break group rules with something that could look like spam, but if you want to see some of what I do that's not hand engraving, look for Instinctively Savage on Esty.

Davesobel

Hi Bob, there’s really quite a lot to address there. I’ve been a tattooer for a little over 30 years, so I have some experience with what you’re asking for. I’ve also done side work over the years as a graphic artist, custom furniture builder, and tattoo machine builder.
The most important part of getting started being successful as an independent creator is networking. Forget about “branding” that’s a modern catchphrase that really has no bearing on what people like us do. You are your brand. Your personality, and ability to communicate with clients are what separate you from others that can do similar quality of work.
In the marketing vein, create relationships with people in local businesses that cross over with engraving. Word of mouth is the absolute best marketing you can have.
Another thing that goes a long way to being steadily successful is to take whatever jobs that come your way that are within your scope of abilities. And even some that will push your limits a little (it’s the best way to improve in my experience)
I’ve personally never had medical insurance. I personally find that it’s a huge waste of money. In the 33 years I’ve been tattooing, I’ve spent about as much in medical expenses as I would have spent on about 6 months of insurance. Unless you have a chronic illness that requires a lot of visits, testing, and expensive medicine, then just keeping a couple grand in savings will do you just fine. Most doctors and dentists give a discount for self pay, and if you do need an expensive procedure, they all take payment plans that will cost you less per month than insurance.
The tax thing is a long topic, but there is a lot that you can write off. You’ll want to talk to an accountant about specifics though. I just started with a new accountant that really knows his stuff and deals with a few tattooers so would be really good for what you’ll need. If you want, you can dm me for his info. He’s in Maryland, but that doesn’t matter incase you’re concerned about being in a different state.

Bob Savage

Hi Bob, there’s really quite a lot to address there. I’ve been a tattooer for a little over 30 years, so I have some experience with what you’re asking for. I’ve also done side work over the years as a graphic artist, custom furniture builder, and tattoo machine builder.
The most important part of getting started being successful as an independent creator is networking. Forget about “branding” that’s a modern catchphrase that really has no bearing on what people like us do. You are your brand. Your personality, and ability to communicate with clients are what separate you from others that can do similar quality of work.
In the marketing vein, create relationships with people in local businesses that cross over with engraving. Word of mouth is the absolute best marketing you can have.
Another thing that goes a long way to being steadily successful is to take whatever jobs that come your way that are within your scope of abilities. And even some that will push your limits a little (it’s the best way to improve in my experience)
I’ve personally never had medical insurance. I personally find that it’s a huge waste of money. In the 33 years I’ve been tattooing, I’ve spent about as much in medical expenses as I would have spent on about 6 months of insurance. Unless you have a chronic illness that requires a lot of visits, testing, and expensive medicine, then just keeping a couple grand in savings will do you just fine. Most doctors and dentists give a discount for self pay, and if you do need an expensive procedure, they all take payment plans that will cost you less per month than insurance.
The tax thing is a long topic, but there is a lot that you can write off. You’ll want to talk to an accountant about specifics though. I just started with a new accountant that really knows his stuff and deals with a few tattooers so would be really good for what you’ll need. If you want, you can dm me for his info. He’s in Maryland, but that doesn’t matter incase you’re concerned about being in a different state.
Thank you very much for this Dave. Networking is something I'll need to practice for sure because I am completely happy barricading myself and just working. That's not going to do it, as you noted and with that said, I'm hitting the Texas Blade Show next week and am hoping to meet some new people as well!

Again, many thanks.

Bob

bud2

Hey Bob,

I'm on the other side of the world but still have some 'idea' on your question. I've been a crafting jeweller for 45 years. Made a good living out of it too. Dave has indicated a few truths about this type of career. The bottom line is finding your way of finding clients. We all work slightly differently, along with different degrees of skills. Where you live will dictate certain conditions that you may have to work to. There's not a 'one size fits all' here. Engraving is not even a money maker for me. It's all jewellery that brings in my dollars. That is where my skills and expertise lies. I'm a one-man show here and have to compete with the chain stores. Full time engravers have a different environment to work in. You just have to find 'your' way.

The business side of my work is similar to every other SMALL business. You have to make enough to pay the bills and you have to pay your taxes if required. If you're not experienced with running a business on your own then look hard for a mentor to help out. It's real easy to lose your pants in any business venture. Happens all the time.

Tread carefully and good luck.

Bud.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
decide how much time you're willing to invest.determine how much yearly incoome u will need. i advize developing a sound business plan. yes, u should develop one. determine what the quality of your work is worth. what u think it's worth doesn't really coun t. what counts is what yer client base is willing to pay for what u do. these two figures may be close--- or miles apart. i could go on, but u get the idea. we will all wish u the best of luck in this endeavor.

Bob Savage

Hey Bob,

I'm on the other side of the world but still have some 'idea' on your question. I've been a crafting jeweller for 45 years. Made a good living out of it too. Dave has indicated a few truths about this type of career. The bottom line is finding your way of finding clients. We all work slightly differently, along with different degrees of skills. Where you live will dictate certain conditions that you may have to work to. There's not a 'one size fits all' here. Engraving is not even a money maker for me. It's all jewellery that brings in my dollars. That is where my skills and expertise lies. I'm a one-man show here and have to compete with the chain stores. Full time engravers have a different environment to work in. You just have to find 'your' way.

The business side of my work is similar to every other SMALL business. You have to make enough to pay the bills and you have to pay your taxes if required. If you're not experienced with running a business on your own then look hard for a mentor to help out. It's real easy to lose your pants in any business venture. Happens all the time.

Tread carefully and good luck.

Bud.

Thanks Bud - this is very helpful!

Bob Savage

decide how much time you're willing to invest.determine how much yearly incoome u will need. i advize developing a sound business plan. yes, u should develop one. determine what the quality of your work is worth. what u think it's worth doesn't really coun t. what counts is what yer client base is willing to pay for what u do. these two figures may be close--- or miles apart. i could go on, but u get the idea. we will all wish u the best of luck in this endeavor.

More great input, thank you for that and for the well wishes.

Sponsors